Recently in reflections Category

Artist Response

Gina Chase was the artist I chose to do my second artist review. It was acutally the very same day that I posted my conceptual project proposal for exploring space and place. I was drawn to her work because of my interest in memroy. I enjoyed her careful attention to details with her layering of images. I also enjoyed the incorporation of mirrors into many of the pieces, as if to question ones real self as upposed to ones representational self. That idea of images and memory resonates with me, even all these weeks later, and I even held onto the newsprinted story.

BFA responses: to Gina Chase

To: Gina Chase

Hi Gina,
I just got a chance to see your work in the soon-to-open BFA show. I really appreciated the way you took one story and played with it in so many ways. I was first drawn to the story in its ribbon form, piled on top of the shelf. It made me want to handle it, to be able to read it in my hands, but as I became aware of the pinned pieces, I realized that each part of the work turned the story into an object that shared the story in a different way. The pinned objects reminded me a bit of Mark Dion's work, directing our attention to bits that have been collected from a whole.

After seeing your work this morning, I've found myself thinking about memory throughout the day. Your pieces offered me some interesting analogies on ways I remember things: sometimes in bits and pieces, sometimes as a jumbled string, sometimes in a tactile way. Thanks for an opportunity to see these sensations of stories and memories reflected in a physical way.

-Kristen

p.s. I like, too, that you provided the story as a handout.

BFA | MFA reflections

First I want to say how much I loved both of these exhibitions. There was at least one piece from each artist that I thought was delightfully conceived, designed, and created. So yeah, thanks for that.

MFA, Ben Garthus:
What I appreciated most about Ben's work was that it highlighted the human connection between the artist and participant as something truly native, genuine and kinetic. In this respect the objects (cart, human hoop...) aptly represent Ben's art as gesture and intention. It was also clear that these objects are mere archives of a larger experience. Though they're delightfully designed and masterfully constructed, they only play a incidental role in the overall experience. This reality is further evinced by the video footage, itself a mere archive, albeit one that is fun and effectively representative. I yearned to experience these objects at work in the "outside" world, not fetishized in a gallery. After all, if these devices are an extension of the artist's invitation to be creative and interact on a genuinely kinetic level, where is the artist himself? Obviously not in a galley, but in the world, where he belongs, acting as a creative force. The obvious irony here is that these realizations all occurred while observing, not interacting, as a well-behaved gallery geek.

BFA, HA13:
HA13's exhibition evinced a clear intersection and layering of sociopolitical space at the level of geometry and color. The pseudo-print-style paintings were an effective 2D (literally and stylistically) context for the two-way intersection of politics and satire. The use of grey and red, however, pulled me into another conceptual direction altogether, as if Teroy (sorry, ahem, HA13) is nudging me to "read between the lines" of superficial sociopolitical relationships. This use of grey is mirrored--quite literally--on the opposite side of the gallery space, where a network cubist objects cast crisp shadows on the gallery surface. I loved the energy this brought to my overall experience. This is brought about through the motion of additive dementionality beginning at the 2D paintings, then to the 3D cubist objects on the wall, and finally to the 4D (time via motion) nature of the dangling box. It was a beautifully simple and transparent continuity of media. (On the other hand, I have no idea what was intended by the flower pot in the corner.)

This intersection of space, concept and dimention is additionally amplified, knowing that HA13 is also Teroy. Perhaps the use of an alias is a respectful bow to his roots as a DJ and graffiti artist, but I felt it communicated something deeper--it poised the Teroy's self-awareness as an intermediary between himself and his art, clearly reflecting his concerns with modes of creativity in the world, especially as it concerns his awareness of categorization and tradition (hip-hop, graffiti, cubism, etc.) In doing this, he has himself become his own 2D self portrait.