Recently in Digital Art pg 7 - 65 Category

Anna's Reading Reflection

I see a very close relationship between technology and art. The reading described how the advancements of technology in the 1940's with the introduction of computers presented new opportunities in art. These changes in the art industry provided new ways to alter all types of art including photos, paintings and even sculptors. When technology continues to progress, the possibilities for art can often expand as well.

I found the most interesting art work in the introduction to be L.H.O.O.Q., which was the reproduction of Mona Lisa with the addition of the mustache and goatee by Marcel Duchamp. This piece sparked my interest because although only created in 1919, it falls under the category of digital art in the chapter. Copying and manipulating the images seems like a daunting task for being so far back in time.

The piece that interested me the most in Chapter 1 was Beauty Composites by Nancy Burson. I would like to experience the piece in person because I spent a long time studying the two images of women's faces to try and make assumptions of what features were considered most beautiful during each era. I tried to pick out which features were taken from which pop culture icon, and found that I kept second-guessing my opinions. It would be even more interesting to do a third image for the women of 2010 and look at the differences between each of the 30-year intervals.

David Kosal Digital Art Reflection

The relationship between technology and art are reflective of each other and also highly influenced by each other. Technology provides a base or medium while art expands on that. The process is ongoing and new technology can be innovated in order to accommodate the art. I liked Carl Fudge's Rhapsody Spray 1 because it takes a character that I am familiar with and changes my perspective on it. Even though the image is distorted and broken down into different shapes, it is still very recognizable. I would like to experience Andrea's Muller-Phohle's Digital Scores III. It would be interesting to be in a digital world sort of like the matrix or Tron.

Reading Reflection: Introduction and Ch. 1

The relationship between technology and art can be that of a parent/guardian and child. The parent/guardian (art) resembles the old methods and slow routines while the child (technology) resembles the new techniques and the short cuts. Art can come in any shape or form, just like a parent and guardian. They are there to help direct the way while the child (technology) follows that direction and make its own new ways.
Technology and art creates a new chapter in the history of art. It creates more ideas, styles, and genres. Combining the two is the start of something and it depends on the creator to decide what to do with it and how to work it. The combination of the two creates a short cut to the traditional ways of doing certain stuff, such as making films, digital correction, making copies, creating a portrait, etc. Technology help shape art and art help shape technology, redefining the definition of art.

"Cybernetic Serendipity" communicates with the audience of what the future of technology can bring. It doesn't necessary scare people off or enlightens them, it informs them of the future possibilities: robots. Technology is constantly advancing itself and so are the creators/inventors/artists. I like this piece because it's somewhat amusing to the eye and informative to the brain.

I would like to experience synthetic realism (Patricia Piccinini) and construct reality with humor and entertainment.

Alex McRandall- Reading Reflection

- How would you describe the relationship between technology and art?
Technology and art is a delicate symbiotic relationship, each conferring positive, and sometimes negative, aspects to its counterpart. As one progresses, so, too, does the other.

- Which art work, described in the history of art and technology, as recounted in the introduction, was most interesting to you and why?
The piece I found most interesting was the piece done with words as buildings along the street. It was an interesting depiction of everyday society through words presented as images.

- Which of the works described in Chapter 1 would you like to experience in person?
Even with the risk of throwing up, I would like to see the piece with the skulls that were modified on the computer and then created to show a distorted view of the human anatomy. It was interesting to see in the book, but I don't think the image does it justice.

Digital Art pg 7 - 65

Our first reading in Digital Art [second edition] by Christiane Paul includes:

The Introduction - pg 7 - 27

and

Chapter 1: Digital Technologies as Tools - pg 28 - 65

Post a reflection that includes your response to the following questions: