Recently in Spark Festival Category

Spark Festival

I didn't make it to any of the events during Spark Festival (not that I didn't want to, I couldn't due to other already planned activities in my schedule) but from what I saw from the class' trip, it was an interesting interactive experience. I can't remember the name or who the artist was but there were two pieces that I really enjoyed at the gallery. The first one was the cymbal set. I was fascinated how it was purposely designed by a small device to tap it, giving off a nice tone. The second piece was the interactive camera, the one where it was in its own little room. It reminded me a lot of a webcam.

Spark

The only time I was able to attend the Spark Festival was when we went together as a class. The piece that caught my eye was located in the back corner of the room. It had very fast, colorful images projected on the wall. The images were moving so fast that it was difficult to make out what they were of. It reminded me of when I am driving in a very fast car and watching close images around me. I would ask the artist what inspired them to create this piece.

Spark Festival

I didnt get a chance to make it to the Spark Festival but during the trip to the art galllery i enjoyed the movie series of different people telling stories, It was very interesting and I was trying to figure out what exactly these people were talking about since you cannot listen to all of them speak at once. Why did the artist choose people to tell stories and what did the stories mean?

Spark Festival Reaction

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to any of the events because none of them fit into my schedule, but it was definitely an interesting experience walking through the galleries with our class on Thursday. A few of the pieces that I enjoyed were the multiple symbols and the sounds reverberating from that area. The unknown about the piece - where the sound was coming from and how the was making these sounds in such a random array was really interesting to me. Standing in the middle of these symbols was almost surreal because the mind automatically tries to predict where the sound is coming from but this art piece made it unable to detect the origin. I wish I could find out how the artist put the piece together, and where they got the inspiration for it.

Oliver B - Spark Festival

As I walked through the Spark Festival, there were many pieces that caught my eye and intrigued me, but I think the one that stuck with me the most was a piece called "Taking a Query= Line for a Walk" by Cristobel Mendoza. For this piece of work there was a projector positioned facing downwards at a corner in the room, and it was projecting images going form right to left all connected. At first I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at, and it kind of just looked like a bunch of photographs being flashed before my eyes in a big chain from right to left. Then after a few seconds of staring forward, I realized that all of these pictures had some sort of straight line running through them horizontally, and that is what strung them together. Although the images themselves were only up on the wall for a split second before a new one had scrolled in from the side and taken the place of the previous one, they were all lined up so that this one line would continue. It was almost hypnotic. I found myself standing there staring at it for what felt like 20 minutes (although I'm sure it was not) but it was a long period of time regardless. It had me in a trance. Also I thought it was really amazing how many different images there were, because in all the time I was standing there watching them zoom by, I was just waiting for it to repeat itself and loop back to the beginning, but it never did. I thought this piece was wonderful.

Alex McRandall-Spark Festival

The piece that "resounded" with me the most was the one which utilized various musical cymbals reverberating at different intervals and intensities. I was intrigued by the positioning of the cymbals as well as the intervals at which the small nodes generated sound from them. Occasionally there would be only one cymbal creating noise, other times every single one was going and you were surrounded by chaos. It was quite fun, actually. I was unsure if anything I was doing actually triggered the cymbals, sometimes it seemed like movement triggered it, other times they seemed to resound on their own. I would ask the creator of the piece what triggered the cymbals, if anything. I would also ask what it was that was actually making the noise on the cymbals. I could see a black node attached to the back of each cymbal, but it seemed too small to have anything inside it that would create that kind of output on the cymbal.

James M, Spark Festival

I was at work this weekend so i didnt have a chance to see any of the events,...During class when we took a trip to the art gallery one thing stood out to me,...The Little dancing/talking robots were interesting to me, It was a unique art piece. They seemed to be motion censored and would dance and sing when someone walked by,..It reminded me of the "big mouth bass" toy that used to be in stores a while ago. It brought back memories of when i was younger and it was an overall good experience. My question for the artist would be how? and why? did you choose to make dancing robots?...

Spark Festival

banner.jpg

Spark is here now.

We will be visiting the installations during class on Thursday.

Look at the schedule of events to find one that interests you.

Attend that event and create a blog post that enables us to benefit from your perspective as you describe:

• What was the event you experienced? - describe it such that we can imagine being there with you
  • How did you responded to and engaged with this sonic experience?
  • What question would you ask if you were interviewing the artist or performer?

I encourage you to experience the performance of as many of the featured artists as you can fit into your schedule.