« Remix | Main | Schedule »

Background Noise

While reading this book, I kept thinking of the term background noise, and how usually, for me at least, is a hindrance, especially when recording. I thought those were interesting words to use for the description of sound art.
random article on background noise: http://www.livescience.com/health/051202_background_noise.html

Anyways, I like that there is an attempt to create literature on this art, but I agree with the others, sometimes it's hard to read about sound art and not to experience it. I hate that I can't ever hear these pieces in their natural environment, I can only read about them and listen to them on CDs. I suppose thats the same with most art, the environment changes everything. I like that debate between sound art and music also, where that line is drawn--and again, how is 'sound art' suppose to be experienced?

I liked reading about John Cage because I've only learned about him in a music class setting and when you approach him from a "sound art" perspective, it can change. The idea that everything is music changes the way I think of sound art.

Again, the whole technology is so freakin' intriguing to me, and how it has shaped and influenced the making and listening of sounds as a whole. The use of technology, and whether the listener is aware of it and the intent of the artist all plays a huge part of my own listening experiences. It ties into Cage's idea of audience participation, and the difference between passive and active engagement.

Altogether I'm enjoy reading the book, despite the heaviness of it. I like that I'm beginning to make connections to other things I've read on the subject.