« Surround Sound Static | Main | This is a site-sound piece »

My belated thoughts on SAD

How did your experience the ambient sound within the exhibition space?
There was not anything in the exhibition that really resonated outside its designated area. The only sound pieces were enclosed and it was up to the visitor to interact. The only ambience was coming from outside with the heavy storm, giving the entire presentation, and an already depressing concept, more emotion.

What was the role of sound in the artworks presented in the exhibition.
I feel the role of the sound art pieces was subdued. I feel there were more impactful pieces in the exhibition, and that Labor Camp Study Room B was more about politics than the disorder, making it out of place.

Describe a sonic experience that most fully tuned you into the exhibition theme SAD.
Aforementioned, the work in the exhibition that took forms outside of the realm of sound were more intriguing and representational of the feelings associated with SAD.

I feel Charles M. Lume’s piece “The Still Time? illustrated the idea of SAD in the most effective manner. The purpose of the piece was to visually show how there are only two seasons in Minnesota—summer and winter. Summer was sandwiched between two winters, one light and one heavy.

Summer was represented with an arc of little cocktail umbrellas advancing toward the ceiling—symbolizing unreachability. The elevation of the objects also made me think of how summer is like a dream—it is such a cherished, divine period of time, that unfortunately zooms by in a flash.

The light winter was depicted through the placement several spread out little mirrors on the ground. From a personal standpoint, I feel Lume used mirrors as the object representing snow to show how a person with SAD literally becomes a part of the season and the emotions associated with it.

The heavy winter was not visible right away in the gallery – which directly symbolizes heavy winter storms and the heavy winter months. The snow keeps falling and falling, while the temperature keeps on dropping and dropping. It is such a dramatic shift in our lives—we have to snow shovel, our cars have to warm up, we have to find our winter clothes, etc. It is a whole other dimension. In the case of this installation, it was a whole other wall in itself, where the viewer had to walk around to another section of the gallery. Here, hordes of little round glass pieces were scattered on the floor, complemented by icicle-like objects poking out of the wall.