I can sit in a room too!--Tyler Hallett

After listening to I am sitting in a room I at first had mixed reviews, but reflecting on it now I see it as great listening experience. During the beginning parts of the piece I felt like he monotonous voice dragged on and caused the strange desire to hear the abstract noise alluded to as each version of the speech became less recognizable. As the speech became abstracted by noise the piece took on a new feeling and caused an almost meditative state, which I attribute to the length and sounds of the piece. The thing I like most about the piece was the fact that it took me out of my reality or at least moved me away from the chaos of life, for that time I was sitting in a room and the noise became something to explore and enjoy.

I am Siting in a Room

This piece really required alot of patience's. By the third time that it repeated I began to get a little tired of it, especially after having to restart the piece. Theres something about knowing somewhat where the whole experience is headed that can disrupt the the initial experience.

As the words and sounds began to disintegrate it reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey, when H.A.L. began to "die."..... It was interesting as how one aspect of sound disappeared another was formed.

I also thought it was interesting that when the words disappeared, for a period of time there after you were able to follow the pacing and understand where you were in his speech.

i am sitting in a room.

1. I'm familiar with this piece, but it changes every time I hear it. Listening to it in a large room, as opposed to my bedroom, makes it eerie and lonely to me. It isn't as intimate or inviting, it reminds me of loss when I hear it in an open space.

2. I still love the moment where my brain finally lets go of the text and just listens to the sounds, I think it happens about 25 minutes in. Then I can finally listen, and not try to decipher the text.

3. The idea of the technology behind it is probably what intrigues me most, and kept me thinking the entire time. How speech and music are reduced to frequencies, which opens up into all those frequencies we don't notice or hear. How they intersect without anyone knowing. And the way we can tap into this "other world" (which I really think it is) by using a microphone, a speaker and tape.

The room

Even though the physical phenomenon is not what the artist is really interested, I find it very interesting and is what I like the most of the piece.
I like the "room's voice" better than the artist's voice!
It's interesting that everything around us has it's own resonant frequency, it's own voice, and that everything is constantly talking to us, but we just ignore it.

I am sitting in a room reflection

As I am new to sound art that was and probably will remain for some time the longest sound art piece I've listened to thus far. I closed my eyes and felt everything around me disappear just imagining the emptiness of this room that Alvin Lucier is recording this in. This piece forces your brain to work. Even when his voice is distorted to almost incomprehension your brain can still pick out bits and pieces of the original speech. By the time it was over I felt exhausted by the concentration that I had unconciously exherted just to hear his voice for as long as possible.

Three Moments of "Sitting in a Room"

1. I start to forget that I am listening to anything at all.
2. Soon after that I realize that I have been listening to someone repeating the same thing over and over again.
3. I forget all about everything for a short while, and then remember my last two thoughts. I now think to appreciate what is happening.

Reflections - I am sitting in a room

Yes. I am sitting in a room. As I am sure you're as well. I am reflecting on what it means to be sitting in this room, any room. It may mean a lot, it may mean nothing. I feel, with all redundancy, that we are always sitting in a room. We're at school. We're at our desks at work. We are trapped under our televisions. Stuck behind glass in our little insulated vechiles. When aren't we sitting in a room? When we're outside? When we're riding our bikes or cutely going green? Aren't we still just trapped in a room? Aren't we thinking about work, or school, or that episode of Lost? No matter where we go, we're buried under mortar, stacco, plaster - until we're buried under wood, dirt, and worms. Until the feedback rises and Alvin Lucier's voice is gone, and we hear the walls fade away. Suddenly we realize that maybe we aren't sitting in a room. Maybe all we hear is the microphone listening to itself. Maybe we don't know where we are.

Alvin Lucier, "I am sitting in a room"

First, my attention is brought to the immediacy and pure presence of Alvin's voice, speech, language, words, and sentences, and then to the fact that I can almost see the room he is sitting in. Let's see where this goes...

My anticipation begins to pool a little as I realize exactly how long this process Lucier has envisioned will take: a really long time. But I begin to think of other ways to perform this experiment, and realize that this piece is an instruction manual.

Moments of boredom share themselves with moments of giddy realization; the room is singing, the room is speaking, not Alvin, in fact we never truly speak at all, the air between our lips and our ears is what does the speaking. And on another note... everything is decay, all things, including sound, are impermanent and always changing.

I am sitting in that room too

The first thing the sound reveals is a non-fluent speech and all the concentration goes there (as I usually feel when I'm speaking English).
Then, after several repetitions, sound insists and highlights the idea that the man says, beyond the non-fluent speech.
To conclude, both the idea and the speech, fluent or not, are lost and only remains the sound as a shadow of the two of them.

My statements

1. T-t-today junior!
2. “I’m sitting here is this awesome room making all these cool reverberations and
resonating frequencies and you are not. Ha-ha!?
3. Would you like fries with that?

3 Moments by Kelsey

1. Interesting how the stutter fades early on.
2. It's taking a loooong time to lose all semblance of language in this.
3. I wonder if it's possible to translate speech from the reverberations.

3 statements by Andrea

1. Ha...Interesting contradiction.

2. Is she really going to play the whole thing?

3.OHM RARA OHM MAHATMA OHM

3 moments

Reflect on your experience listening to Alvin Lucier's work "I Am Sitting in a Room"

Post your reflection as a series of 3 statements, each describing a distinct moment in your experience of listening to "I Am Sitting in a Room".

Make a Blog Post under the category Reflections - I Am Sitting In A Room.

"I Am Sitting in a Room", Alvin Lucier

I am sitting in a room different from the one you are in now. I am recording the sound of my speaking voice and I am going to play it back into the room again and again until the resonant frequencies of the room reinforce themselves so that any semblance of my speech, with perhaps the exception of r-r-r-rhythm, is destroyed. What you will hear, then, are the natural resonant frequencies of the room articulated by speech. I regard this activity nnnnnot so much as a demonstration of a physical fact, but more as a way to s-s-smooth out any irregularities my speech might have.