Spark Thoughts

I attended the concert on Saturday where nine to ten different performances occurred over two hours. Unfortunately I can't give specific names of who played what because the schedule was altered; people were performing at different times, there was also an addition, and I forgot a pen. Regardless, my favorite performance was of a girl playing an electric baritone saxophone.

The room went dark and for ten seconds there was nothing but silence. Waiting, we finally hear someone walking on stage and out of the peripheral of my eyes I can see faint ghost like figure approach the center of the stage. Strangely it looks flat. While struggling to make out what we were seeing, a faint but deep metallic moan swelled and two lights peak across the floor from both sides of the stage creating a thin line of light stretching across the stage. In the center the performer is illuminated. She was dressed in white with a saxophone 4 feet long at her side. Every time she plays a note, lights on the ground swell with the sounds. It's as if the instrument is producing some new form of matter that embodies two different spectrums of vibrations. The sounds are exemplified by silence where five to ten second pauses occurred between each new swell of otherworldly noise the saxophone produces.

Part of the performance that left the event even more interesting was not being able to tell if was looking at an actual person on stage. It took me several minutes to realize I was looking at either a projection or someone behind a screen. I do not really have any ideas how it was done. What I do know is, where she was standing is where the stage ended and a curtain was hanging. This is probably why she appeared so ghost like when the room was dark. It was very strange how real and three dimensional she looked when illuminated. The performance by Pramila Vasudevan also used the technology.

There were a few other notable performances with instruments but I enjoyed this one the most for both the unusual visual and auditory experience. The sounds were memorizing and surreal equally with what I was able to see. I found her piece relatable to what I'm trying to accomplish with this latest project; me trying to create an unusual experience with a common instrument. Her performance also left me a bit envious as I would love to have an instrument that created an visual counterpart for each sound it produced.