Embodied Sound - Sam

I struggled with the embodied sound project. Having difficulty finding rewarding, or even successful, experimentation with the media that was our entry point, I began to think more closely about my interpretation of the idea: "embodied sound." I began thinking about what it means for sound to be embodied, which led me to become interested in the idea of sound objects (physical things that contain/produce sound or have some sonic quality), the most intriguing of which to me was the box-fan.
The fan being an object whose function it is to move air to create wind and thus the sonic drone of air moving and interacting with its physical environment, wind as embodied sound became a powerful idea to me. Wind seemed to me, a force with the most basic elements of what I thought constituted embodied sound: it is a force that itself is invisible, but makes itself known by sense of touch and sound. It has a strongly physical presence in that we can feel it and see it interacting with its physical surroundings; it also produces various sounds based on its interactions with its physical surroundings.
What I attempted to do was use the box-fan as a wind generator and create a scenario in which someone could experience the sonic and physical presence of the wind either simultaneously, or exclusively: simultaneously by sitting on the chair placed in front of the fan, and exclusively by listening to the sound and standing away from it, or sitting in front of the fan wearing the ear muffs and only feeling the winds physical presence.Sam_2-large.mov