Bakken Museum

The "Electricity is Life" machine was one of the most interesting parts of the museum to me because everyone had such different ways they wanted to interact with it. Some (like me) did not want to experience even the smallest shock on my hand, while others were experimenting with much stronger shocks to the gum, ear or eyeball. The museum made me think about how we normally experience electricity today. It is not something one can easily see or feel.....usually it just moves through wires and is away from us. I think that the difficulty in seeing electricity is precisely why people are fascinated with it at the Bakken Museum. The museum makes it "visible" through its effects on the human body with devices like the Leyden jar, Mindball, or the Electricity is Life machine, suggesting that electricity does not have to be confined to wires or individual study, but can be accessible to the public. This idea relates to embodied sound and makes me think of the contacts mic, which can introduce us to sound that is not normally audible.