Embodied Sound - Project 2

Documentation from my embodied sound project:

The sketch of each part of the project.
Photo on 2011-12-23 at 11.21.jpg

The mircophones were attached to each end of a wooden stick.
DSC_0769.jpg

We glued the cable to the stick at the area where the balloon tied, to make a smoother surface for the balloon to seal around.
DSC_0775.JPG

The glue and tape helped prevent air from leaking.
DSC_0777.JPG

After the stick was finished, we blew up the two balloons with microphones inside them while we were in the lab.
DSC_0779.JPG

Wireless mics transmitter.
DSC_0780.jpg

We filled one balloon with helium and one with regular air, to see if there was a difference in sound between the two.
DSC_0784.JPG

Packing up supplies to head over to West Bank.
DSC_0792.JPG

Tying on the two "lift" balloons that were blown on in the parking lot.
DSC_0794.JPG

DSC_0796.jpg

I loved considering what we were intended to hear from the microphones. I thought we could be listening to scientific low-atmosphere phenomena and strange physical stresses from the balloons, or we could be able to hear the whole city from a single vantage point. Both were interesting to me, but I especially liked the idea of being able to hear the commotion from the whole city from one point at a quiet altitude. The possibility of being able to sonically take-in an entire city was an almost zen-like proposition.

this was definitely a great project to watch! I enjoyed being outside of our typical classroom setting, and I think that was a very creative choice on your part. Also the extra work you put in was very impressive, even if it didn't yield the results you had hoped for. I enjoyed the balloon farts the most!

Thanks!