Recently in project sketch Category

Matt Howard Site-sound

performance art. weirdo.

Site Sound Concept

Sounds of Gun Lake. I will be taking recordings with the contact mic and the internal Marantz mic of different locations around the lake, including water sounds with the contact mic. I might secure the mic to a kayak and experiment with different depths and locations in the water. I will also try to include shore sounds and try to mimic some of what they do in the frog lab- recording an individual species and then the whole chorus. I want to try different times of day- maybe only using night sounds, or do a daylight/nighttime progression. Depending on how the clips end up, I might isolate 3 or 4 recordings to different speakers and play with volume.

Site Sound - Dist/intimacy (Sam Fuentes)

I will record with an omnidirectional microphone in the middle of the performance space. Moving along the perimeter of the space, I will circle the microphone. As I spiral slowly inwards I will also be producing a smaller, more intimate sound - something along the lines of crumpling a piece of paper, or snapping legos together, etc. For 5-8 minutes, I will fidget my way in a spiral towards the microphone. The surround-sound track will play back in the space. It begins totally unedited, just the sound of me pacing around the edge of the space. But as the sound gets closer to the mic, I will edit the track so that the reverb gets bigger, deeper and more intense. When my intimate fidgetings are right on top of the microphone, the reverb will be deep and ethereal. A close sound in a deep space is the end product. I wanna take you on a sonic journey.

SOUND SKETCH

For my site sound piece I am hoping to experiment with listening to music through a contact mic and the vibrations of water in different vessels. I am also interested in distorting the sound by altering the frequencies and projecting them from different sides of the room where it will be shown/ experienced so I can play with the idea of binaural beats.

Site sound project

Site: Underwater near the Stone Arch Bridge and a waterfall
I plan to create 3-5 short pieces from different spots under water near the waterfall. I will use a contact microphone and attempt to record acoustic sounds, too.
To present my project, I will have each recording play from different speakers in the presentation room. I would like the sounds to play in relative distance from each other in which they were recorded.

pre soundsighted

Sound Site Plan

I'm going to create a sound-walk. I have the path i want to walk in mind. There will be two main sections; a day-time section and a night-time section. I am hoping to achieve different ambiences, and thereby moods, by this temporal change. Also, the night-time section will include activities not wise to pursue in the light of day. I hope to present a very familiar space, the U of M campus, and give the listener a new understanding of the space through this walk.