« My Philosophy on the Studio Critique | Main | Critique Phil & Guide »

My critique philosophy

During this year and a half in Graduate School the most valuable thing I've found is the experience of being part of a critic environment. In my case, to learn how to listen and how to talk is being an amazing constant process. And I am not talking about the evident language challenges, I am talking about the most literal meaning of learning how to listen other people's points of view and reactions, and how to talk to other people who may or may not understand and be engaged with my own points of view and reactions as well.

I have a few things to say regarding my hypothetical critique philosophy:

1. It is fundamental to be open-minded and to not take comments personally.
2. It is very interesting to first listen for a while and then talk. However, I consider important to always inform the group the "critique dynamic", so everybody goes in the same direction.
3. To ask questions without expecting an immediate answer is a great way to contribute to the artist process after having a critique with other people.
4. To recommend some references is also important but I think it is always important to make clear and explain how that reference fits the artist needs.
5. I think it is always good to try to meet the person a little and not just the artist. It helps to build a more "familiar dialogue", more trust, and of course, it helps to understand and get a better sense of the artist interests.

Thanks for all your great contributions to our critique dialogue!!

Juana