« Heading For Critique Critical Mass | Main | My Philosophy on the Studio Critique »

Talk it out, Pht

Grad school has been a change from my life as an artist before. Primarily because I was not seeking out much in the way of critical feedback when I was not in school and because it had been a long time.
Consequently, it has been in some ways like starting again. I think there are two ways to talk about crits that we experience here, this is aimed at the idea of the Studio Crit, which in most instances seems more like a conversation, between the artist and the visitor (I mostly think of this in terms of there being only two people present). Then there is perhaps what could be termed the Formal Studio Crit, where the parameters are set by the artist and there are more critiquers. Because a conversation is between two people, I feel that I don’t need to apply any kind of philosophy to that mode but concentrate below on some ideas for the Formal Studio Critique.

The first basic rule: We should all care when looking at one another’s work because we have made a pact, we are all here as students, we have made the choice to study and to study together. As part of that we are duty bound bring whatever we can to a discussion of each other’s work.

Second basic rule: beginner's mind

1. The artist should set the parameters.
2. I think that it is better to listen first.
3. I think it works best if there is some level of trust between artist and critiquers.
4. Try other forms of critique and do away with the idea that this is meant to
toughen us up for the real world.
5. Try to create a situation where the “ideal speech act? can take place.
6. Talk at the end, answer questions.

“Thus their legitimacy is based, not on the universality of the knowledge
produced through discursive action, but on the perceived universality of the
process of human communication itself.? Grant Kester referring to theorist
Jurgen Habermas in Kester’s book, Conversation Pieces.

Sincerely,
Pht