Rashad, P to the H to the T, Meng: Presentations

Rashad: I think I mentioned this in class, but my advice is to show less of the graphic design stuff in the beginning. I think you should show some, because it gives us a background for some of your formal concerns and where you started, but maybe give us the one that you feel is the best, give a little of that educational background, and then move on. Aside from that, the pacing of your presentation was good. Also, the pictures of your work were nice. It was easy just to enjoy the sculptural works because they were well documented. I think someone mentioned that you could show more of your research inspiration and I agree. The images you showed for your presentation in Wayne's class last semester were great and your overall presentation would be stronger with more of that. Last but not least, and you're probably getting sick of hearing about it, but it's all about the voice for you. Being a little more aware of how low it gets and varying your pitch and speed throughout would help. Your voice especially can be commanding and useful in public speaking, but it can also be lulling.

Peach Tea: This is well practiced and well paced. You cover a lot of time chronologically, but the images you choose reveal the common threads of interest that have evolved and persisted throughout. Great use of humor and pseudo-self deprecation. I realize you were showing this to a "known" group and your intent was to show work that most of us aren't familiar with, but I think many aren't as familiar with the art shanties or the A project as you think. Even those of us that are, it would be nice to see a few more pictures and hear a little more of the behind the scenes stuff.

Meng: I think it's good that you experimented with the different kinds of media available for your presentation, but for a finished presentation to strangers a more streamlined approach would be better. I'll also echo what others have said about the organization. You showed some interesting images and works that could play off of one another better if they were just in a different order. I enjoyed that you mentioned that film trilogy by the other director as inspiration for recent works. It would be nice to see small clips from that trilogy or hear from you more of why it inspired your work.

Rashad-Peter-Meng

Rashad...You had great control over your voice (calm, volume, speed). Your images were strong. I enjoyed seeing the evolution of your work and thinking. My undergrad also pushed technical ability first and concept second, so I can identify with your foundation. You talked about the strong influence of the places and cultures you lived in, but no images pertaining to these realities...maybe add just a few images of those neighborhoods to keep your audience informed. You incorporated your research well with the sculpture images...perhaps expand on talking about the importance of the materials you choose. Overall...well done!

Peter...You also gave a strong presentation. Your right, I was not familiar with your photographic body of work. Your ideas of establishing a connection between place and yourself comes across in the majority of the images. I felt a bit overloaded with the number of images and speed of your voice at time, but impressed with the span of time you covered in 20 minutes. In future presentations, give more background about the Art Shanty project (we are familiar, but your next audience may not be...this is probably why you glazed those details).

Meng...Expand on talking about the cultural ideas shaping your work; they are strong and interesting. I enjoyed seeing your photographs, film clip, and the progress of your paintings. Talking during the film was a smart decision to use the 20 minutes fully. Smart to "plug" your website! Re-organize your talk to begin with your background. Take the audience through living in China and coming to the United States. Consider taking us through the art you were making at those times and discuss the influences of those changes.

artist talks

Rahsad: The way you laid out your talk was successful. I feel as though the timeline technique works well. I’m not sure if showing the 2-d design stuff was that important to know. I agree with Scott Stulen that it would have been nice to see that concept car you worked on for GM. One other thing, I think your talk could have had a bit more energy, maybe standing rather than sitting behind the computer would help.

Peter: I agree that it really seemed as though you have presented your work before. Your talk went smoothly and had plenty of energy. It was cool to see such a big time span, but with the 20-minute time limit I would have enjoyed seeing less work and learning more about each piece. I enjoyed seeing your photo work, really great images.

Meng: Organization is key to a good talk. Having the work on the power point and the web site and the document light table seemed to cause some technical troubles. Next time you should keep it all in one spot. I agree that you should have showed the older work first. Having video in your talk was great. I really enjoyed seeing it and would like to see the finished film.

josh w reflect

Rashad

i admire the calm collective nicety. Sitting up straight or standing, or gesticulating more may up the enthusiasm. In addition to the work I was very interested the background info, the more unique stuff, like "from frying pan to skillet." or the quote "be content in your chains." Or the big questions "why are things the way they are" I think showing your references like the slave ship allowed a solid and more attainable connection to the work. Or shotgun houses, that phrase is compelling in itself, you could more describe it in your talk (no hallyways, flowed from one room to the next.) I agree that you should show a machine carved auto, i was a little confused at the time as to what you were talking about.

Panther H T

you rolled along, the humor of some of the work like the fist clenched breakup was on topic and hilarious. It seems you've done too much for a twenty minute talk, the brevity of it didn't allow you to show us as much work as I would have liked, or to elaborate very much.

Meng

I was most interested in your work that spoke to the three films your future plans, the red female figure, the blue male, and the white baby. It was difficult when you went back and forth between slides. A natural progression without fumbling gaps of silence would crerate more comfort for you and the audience. It's very interesting how the art school in china that you attended limited your creativity, maybe you could more directly address your reaction(s) to that.

Pht presentation comments

Rahsad
I guess much of this was said already but one thing was that I couldn't see you! I like the casual nature if your talk and manner, but it was tough that I could only see your eyes. It is easier to stay engaged when I can see all of your face. I did like the way that you made connections between your work and how you made those connections apparent with what you showed.

Meng
I agree with the suggestion to switch around the order of what you present, putting the historical first and ending with the present time. There was a moment that felt like it could have been performative although I am not sure that it was intentional. It was during the 2nd time of using the document table when you were showing the story, I think you forgot to switch over to the document camera but there was this cool thing that happened where you were moving the document around and talking about it but we could not see it. Not sure if you want to explore the possibility of artist talk as performance but it was kind of a nice moment.

presentations

peter- i could see your experience, i hope i am as good as you. For next time, you could show more work

Meng- as everyone said organization is helpful. Knowing when and where all your information is can only be a plus

Rashad- i found your talk interesting however i too think it would be helpful to show more enthusiasm.