donovan, david c

First i would like to thank you guys for giving me your insight. I always find it helpful to hear what others see and feel from my art. After mulling over what was discussed, i have come up with a few ideas on the way i want to further develop my process. One thing that stuck with me was Peters comment on the melodramatic nature that manifests its self in the objects i choose to use. This notion initially bothers me. I don’t want to seem cliché or have an emo-ism. I want my art to be serious and thoughtful. But on the other hand pushing this absurdity could give my work a larger scope and a twisted humor of sorts. That ludicrous exaggeration brings up the ideas we talked about dealing with breaking away from the horror flick mentality that people tend to bring to my work when they view it without a placed context. I’m not sure which way I want to lean, maybe both, striped down for some work and over the top for other pieces. Over all I think the process of hearing what the viewer has to say about the art without knowing what fuels it conceptually and how the materials represents the concept and then with a description of how I processed the information, followed by a discussion is an effective mode of critique.

description

Initial Studio Critique:

The initial studio critique is your opportunity to determine the focus of your critique and the process of your critique. This is your opportunity to determine what you what to present or make available for critique and how you want the group to participate in the process. I encourage you to experiment with the studio critique concept and modes of engagement. Your will have 30 minutes

These experiences will contribute to our collective, semester-long, creative research related to the studio critique – including it’s origins, functions, biases, power dynamics, unique benefits, and its relationship to context.

Following your critique, post your refections on the blog including:

- how you chose to focus and structure the experience
- why you chose this particular focus
- how you determined the structure that you introduced
- what proceeded as you expected
- what surprised you
- what if anything you would advise others to include in the studio critique process.