Rashad, Peter and Josh

It was great to get in and see what the three of you have been up to. Josh, your prints just keep getting more and more refined. I would love to see them in a book, and I feel excited to see what your writing could add to the project. I also am really interested in the smaller objects you are beginning to explore. Rashad, I like the idea of seeing your work move into a place where there could be some more contrast between materials. I always get a lot out of seeing what motivates you, especially all the Louisiana cultural stuff like the Mardi Gras indians etc. Peter, I'm inspired by the way you appreciate place in your work. All the stuff around your studio interests me as someone who is also striving to communicate a relationship to place (especially cold places).

Rashad

I enjoyed the atmosphere of the critique. I appreciated everything people had to say. Most of all the challenges to my content and the desire for grads to see a push in experimentation, I felt, was pivotal to the discussion. I left the crit with a some excitement on where i can take this body of work next. Being open not only to experimentation but to happenstance as an enriching part of the building process I think is important for all artists. I truly wish to reach a level, with my work, where once the work is complete my thinking and articulation are well refined.

Laura

I think that if our visitor has a prepared presentation or discussion that this could be an interesting part of our class. However I think that our class time last friday could have been used more for the critiques that seemed to be cut short. I know that it is the initial crit but I hope that we can get past the fluff.

jason G

Nice photo josh!
I'm in agreement with Josh, "thoughts are important." In response to the critiques, i do feel that time may become an issue. Although it was short i did find everyones comments useful (hope the artist's did too). I especially enjoyed listing to the artist's talk, this is always exciting.
Critiquing the critique is difficult, i wish we could spend 15 minutes in class discussing it. I hope i'm not repeating myself over and over again, i feel like i am.

Pht initial critique

well thanks to everyone for your feedback and time. I think that I set up a little bit of a hard scenario. It is more difficult when there is not so much work to critique, but more the idea of the work that has yet to be made. Plus it seemed in retrospect that I kind of set up this installation (for lack of a better word) that was about the 'brand' of Pht which you kept commenting on but then I kept saying 'I don want it to be about me'. So I apologize for being a little schizophrenic perhaps. I do want my work to be about me, but maybe more in a way that doesn't create some idea of me.

But all that helps because it reminds me to think more about how that stuff will be read. I do think more time would be ideal, it seems as though things get rolling and then it is over. I guess we need to continue the conversation here or in person.

In general I am appreciating the chance to be in a class with all of you again and have conversations that feel real. So thanks. If you want to read online something about Joshua Slocum, check this out, and TJ and my research can be found here.

Oh also someone left a notebook in our studio, it is a U of M lined notebook, I don't see a name on the cover. Come by and claim it!

to add a little more to what I said above, I want to blur the boundary between art and life but in doing that I dont want to make me the art, but still use my curiosity and passions as the basis for the art. I guess that is what we all do isn't it?

Jazzman

It's good to see everyone's work although I agree with what Josh said the critiques were not quite long enough. We could of spent the first 45 minutes or so in the studios. I know for me I need more time to be with the work to experience it in order to get its essence (thats a lame word for it but I'm sure you know what I mean) . Overall the critiques were good introductions to the work and it was great to get in studios that I had not been in before. I also really enjoy hearing the varying perspectives that we have in our class.