Jessica

Critiques are an exchange of ideas, experiences, and personal expression that allow for further perspective to form. The quote offers a fundamental possibility of elevating understanding through a clean slate. Within this context, the conversation can liberate new thinking.

Lindsay

Sounds like something that should have been written on a banner at the convention last week. It's really the thing that ultimately leaves so many people unsatisfied with studying art in an institution. School makes us aware of power structures through bureaucracy, and then we become critical of them and long for change. The structures themselves need to become more flexible, (and maybe that starts with the minds taking this advice), so that they can evolve and start again as the values and needs of society change.

Rashad

Freire's quote reads as an attempt to quantify the meaning of life. I interpret "to begin always anew" as a reference to the start of a new day, new lifestyle, new relationship or any kind of significant or inconsequential paradigm shift. "To make, to reconstruct, and not to spoil" could be Freire's description of cyclical nature of life. "To make" as in making new connections or following a calling, a purposeful act in life. "To reconstruct" as in repairing torn connections or reevaluating ones decisions. "Not to spoil" goes back to making and reconstructing. The conscious effort and act of making, then reconstructing reveals ones understanding of spoiling or taking pivotal aspects of life for granted. Not spoiling inherently causes reflection and reconstruction. Bureaucratizing the mind creates modes of thinking that collide and modes that can impede upon progressive thought, development, and cultivation. If life is a process, humanity exists as the epitome or embodiment of process. Living to understand this principle is living to become it. I find Freire's observation poignant and impactful.

tj

The clouded mind with its interesting meandering synapses, the complexity of the human situation, and taste mixed with motive
old tricks for new generations, cycles of fashion, and reacquiring answers to the universe.
Live to become
If you live your art does this elevate your life?
If you separate life from art does this elevate art?
Does art really need to take a shit?
Does art need to be elevated?

Jazzman

After reading this quote I agree with a lot of the other comments, in regard to studio critique one should always approach work with fresh eyes with out personal agendas or opinions but with a fresh slate attempting to forget their biases, and their own history. Having said this it is often a very difficult thing to do I find I frequently have to fight my first reaction to things and to dig deeper to get to a richer experience and understanding.

donovan, david c

The ideas presented in this quote speak directly to the ways in which I approach making art. Having fresh ideas and energy with ever work even when it was done once and then again. To learn from what was created and then to push the ideas further. Not to be bound by the norm. To be an artist who lives their work. In the pursuit to understand what is being conveyed in my work, the studio critique becomes vital to the process. Paulo Freires ideas lend them self’s to the critique in that an artist must approach their own work from another’s point of view. They should embrace the critiques that are given from their peers. Learning what others see in the work will broaden the scope of the art and the practice behind it. With that said, I feel as though Freire beliefs as so do I, that an artist shouldn’t give up on some thing they feel is worth researching. One should take in as much as they can and then filter that into their work

jason gaspar- my comment

in the "spirit" of studio critique this statement acts as a catalyst for inspiration and thought. Freire's statement declares freedom, a "kind" of liberation that begins and takes place within the mind. By "kind" i am referring to the thoughts that make up who we are, the thoughts that go seen and unseen, the thoughts the create evolution, the thoughts that declare change, the thoughts that manifest beauty, the thoughts that challenge, the thoughts that no one can regulate. When we "live to become," we LIVE, when we live we create, when we create we "reconstruct," when we "reconstruct" we end and begin new life.

P.S. Somewhere confusion set in, then anxiety, then even more confusion so if my post is incorrect and in the wrong location of the blog i apologize.

thanks have a good day

Laura

I am not a blogger so I hope that I am doing this right... I would say that within a studio critique this quote suggests to start with a clean slate and also not to applaud the work for all that is good. It suggests that in a studio visit, to understand the work you should try to approach the work without baggage that might inhibit you from really seeing the work. Also that referencing only positive aspects in a studio critique will in a sense ruin the critique and will also not help us to advance farther in our work.

Juana

The way I understand and translate this quote into my own life and work is through the idea of movement, therefore, of change.
Personally, I've been very interested in the "alchemist" way life can be approached and how this is strongly related with art. I consider it has been important for me to acknowledge the cyclical rhythm of life as a constant process of transformation. In this sense, the way I think an artist work (or at least I try to work) is by opening a process where while the artist materially transforms something, there is also an intellectual and even a spiritual transformation taking place in his/her own existence.
Now, the reality is that it is very easy to "fall in love and get married" just with one idea and that is the easiest way to stop the cycle.

Pht

Not to sound too new agey but I guess one of my core values (can't believe I am using that term) is to try to have a beginner's mind. Meaning to approach things I am already familiar with as a beginner (hard!) and to always try new things that I know nothing about (easier and often fun). In the context of the studio critique this quote seems to be advocating a similar idea; the studio critique should be one more step in art making, not the ultimate step. That is difficult though, to think about a critique as not being a judgment but more equal with every other aspect of one's process.

Paulo Freire

Comment on this quote from Paulo Freire that comes to us by way of bell hooks in her work Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom

.... to begin always anew, to make, to reconstruct, and to not spoil, to refuse to bureaucratize the mind, to understand and to live life as a process - live to become ....

Would you comment on the spirit of this proposition in the context of the studio critique?

To make this post choose

New Entry

select as the category: 8/12 under blog assignments

enter your name as the title