Assignment #1

When I first started brainstorming ideas, I thought of the name "cookie." It's really not a cookie. They should be called "bakies" if anything. But that got me thinking. I want to make a cookie that's more "cooked;" I want to make a cookie that's more gourmet and actually uses cooking techniques.

When I think of fancy cooking I think of drizzling something over the top and adding some kind of crumble topping. Like fancy cheesecakes. Essentially my entire cookie was driven from these decorative accessories. The drizzle would be chocolate. Easy. But for the crumbs I had to think a bit. I decided on graham crackers. Chocolate and graham crackers. It was to be a s'mores cookie!

I've seen s'mores bars before, ice cream, blizzards, shakes, but never s'mores cookies. Obviously it would have to include marshmallows as well. And It should probably have more graham crackers. So I decided to add crushed graham crackers into the mix.

image-1.jpeg

The finished product.

Ingredients:
(makes approx. 30)

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tbsp baking soda
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
24 oz chocolate chunks. Not chips. (2 bags)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 graham crackers
1 bag tiny marshmallows

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In one bowl mix flour and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In another bowl mix the sugar, brown sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Mix in the flour/baking soda mix slowly while stirring.
4. Add one bag of chocolate chunks to the mix.
5. Crumble 4 graham crackers into chunks roughly the size of the chocolate chunks. Add to the mix.
6. Place 12 cookie dough balls on a greased baking sheet. Place in oven for 8 minutes.
7. While the cookies bake, melt the other bag of chocolate into a liquid by placing the chunks into a bowl, set within a pot of boiling water.
8. After 8 minutes, take the cookies out and place 3-4 marshmallows evenly spaced on each cookie.
9. Place back in the oven for 2 more minutes.
10. Take the cookies out and drizzle chocolate over them.
11. Crumble remaining graham crackers into a fine powder and sprinkle evenly over drizzled cookies.

I used the general template for making chocolate chip cookies to get the standard baking goods ratio (flour, eggs, sugar, etc.). The only problem I had was initially I put the marshmallows on the cookies before baking them. They got too melty and started to scorch. Otherwise it was a pretty painless, cookie dough eating-filled process.

image.jpeg

Additional process pics:
View image
View image
View image

Really great tasting cookie you made! I think in the future I'd like to see more of your mental process work, maybe in a bit more visual manner (now that we've learned about mind mapping, that could be a great way to show this).

Overall your cookie was tasty, but in the process work it seems you assumed a s'mores cookie doesn't exist. Next time a quick Google search might help with confirming or denying the assumption!

Btw, blog format looks great. Brief and clean.

Your cookies were great! Two suggestions - first, you wrote about a first iteration where you scorched the marshmallows. I think that there is more room for tweaking and trying additional things to make the cookie even more creative and I would have been interested to hear about some of that. Second, though your blog layout is pretty nice, you should include more pictures within the content itself and not at the end of the post.

Overall, great job.

your cookies were good, nice pictures and a nice introduction to your blog post. However you should draw out and explain your process of how you reached your final cookie conclusion.