Recently in important updates Category

NRL Processing Update 2

From email from Chris Koehler 5/22/12:

I'd like to give an update of the current status of updating the records for the EFW and Forestry Libraries as part of the Natural Resources Library (NRL) transfer in St.Paul.

As some of you might be aware the sub-library description for the sub-library codes TEFW, TFOR and TNRL is now displaying as "TC Natural Resources Library." Prior to the closure of the Forestry Library on May 13th the sub-library descriptions for TEFW and TFOR had reflected the former names of the branch libraries and TNRL had displayed as the EFW Library but now they are all displaying under the new name.

The holdings for the monograph records including the classified series have still not been updated from the TEFW or TFOR sub-library codes. The latest update I've received is that the staff in St.Paul are still reviewing and moving the books. They are trying to get this done soon but it might go into next week before the spreadsheets can go to Betsy to update the holdings. Please forward me any classified or cat sep items received on these records, I will hold them and process as soon as I know what the new locations are.

In the meantime I have updated the sub-library fields on the membership records to Magrath or NRL based on where the pieces received on the membership went. If you do run across any membership records the TEFW or TFOR sub-libraries let me know.

Finally, Scott Marsalis has just confirmed that the NRL and Plant Pathology unbound serials will no longer circulate which will bring them in line with Magrath and most other locations in the system. Chris Rose will be making global changes to the unbound item records to update the Item Statuses and I will need to have Michael Johnson run a macro to update the Item Statuses on all the Subscription Records for NRL, Plant Pathology and the transfered orders from Forestry & EFW to Magrath. Once the updates are made Scott will notify the staff in those locations that the new loan policy has taken effect. Let me know if you have any questions.

NRL processing update

Per email from Chris Koehler 5/11/12:

As you may be aware from Jerrie Bayer's announcement earlier this week the Forestry Library will be permanently closing this Sunday May 13, 2012 so I'd like to give an update of the current status of updating the former Forestry and EFW records.

Most of the periodicals orders have been updated to the correct locations of either Magrath or NRL but there are some problem items that we are trying to fix. Any periodicals received for which the order or subscription record still shows the TEFW or TFOR sublibrary can come to me to check on and fix.

The holdings for monographs have not been updated yet to their new sublibraries so I have not been able to update the order records for our standing orders to classified series and cat seps. I am assuming that they will get updated before this Monday so I'll be able to update the orders by the middle of next week but if that changes I will send out notice. There are some cat sep orders that will require the selectors to review to determine the new location so they will likely take longer to get updated. Any items received on these orders that don't have the new location can come to me.

The issues that were coming as gifts directly to the Forestry Library and sent up here for processing will be changed so they are sent and processed here at Wilson. I will be working on updating the orders and notifying the suppliers. The membership records will also need to be updated but they will be a lower priority so you may run across those for a bit longer.

If you have any questions or run across any unusual problems with these records let me know.

Changes in Arts & Humanities budget assignments

Per email from Fariha on 5/14/12:

Please note changes in budget assignments announced in Monday Memo in Arts & Humanities area:

New Liaison Assignments
Thanks to all of you who attended the farewell reception for Laura Dale Bischof last week. With Laura's departure, we have reassigned some subject liaison responsibilities in Arts and Humanities. Gordon Anderson will serve as liaison to the German, Scandinavian, and Dutch Department. Susan Gangl will assume responsibility for Classical and Near Eastern Studies. Incoming Librarian Yao Chen will cover the Linguistics Department, in addition to Asian Languages and Literatures.
- Jennie Burroughs

Fariha

In an effort to alleviate the problem we've had with multiple copy subscriptions being changed by publishers from two 1 year subscriptions to one 2 year subscription we asked Ebsco to set up three different sub-accounts with slightly different addresses under Wilson Library account number CG2916500. The sub-accounts are designated by a two letter Subscriber Code coming at the end of the account number so for example the main account is under CG2916500SR. The idea behind this is that by providing slightly different addresses the publishers won't match up and combine our multiple copy subscriptions.

We also wanted to make sure that if only one issue is received on a multi-copy subscription it is checked in on the same order each time so lapses are easier to catch so we established a hierarchy to decide which locations would be checked in first, second and if necessary, third. The location checked in first was assigned to the main account, CG2916500SR, those checked in second were assigned to account CG2916500TA and those checked in third were assigned account CG2916500EA. I have updated the Vendor Reference and Vendor Note fields of these orders to reflect the correct accounts. I have also added the following notes to the Check-in Note field in the Subscription Record:

CHECK IN FIRST [for the order under the main account CG2916500SR--or otherwise checked in first]
CHECK IN SECOND [used only for middle copy of three copy subscriptions]
CHECK IN LAST [used for second copy of 2 copy subscriptions or third copy of 3 copy subscriptions]

There were a few anomalies such as issues for the order on the main account not being checked in at all, so the note in the Check-in Note field trumps the account number in terms of processing.

The additional addresses and sub-account codes that Ebsco set up for us are as follows:

Alternative Address 1
Technical Services Subscriber code: TA
UNIV OF MINN LIBRARIES
309 19TH AVE S
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55455

Alternative Address 2
Elec Print Serials Sect Subscriber code: EA
UNIV OF MINN LIBRARIES
309 19TH AVE S
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55455

Alternative Address 3
EPSS Serials Acq Subscriber code: EB
UNIV OF MINN LIBRARIES
309 19TH AVE S
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55455

We did not have any four copy subscriptions so the sub-account under Subscriber Code EB was not used.

The hierarchy of locations that we used to establish the sub-account under which orders were assigned was as follows:

Wilson Library
Walter Library
Magrath Library
Branch Libraries (St.Paul branches, Journalism, Architecture, etc.)
Andersen Horticultural Library
Wilson Library binding copies

Changes in Aleph500 Security and Access forms

Per email from Francine Dupont -Crocker on 12/1/10:

I'm writing to alert you to several changes recently made to the Aleph500 Access and Security Policy, its related access and security request forms, and the Aleph500 Access and Security wiki page.

First, the Aleph500 Access and Security Policy and its related access and security request forms have all been given a new look with the incorporation of the Libraries logo and brand styling. At some point in the future, we also hope to make all forms interactive (i.e. you will be able to fill out the form by typing in the information online).

Second, due to recent revisions to the University's policies on data security and management, we have revised the references made to those policies in both our Aleph500™ Access and Security Policy (see "Basis of the Policy" section) and our Compliance Statement for Access to Patron Records and Patron Transactions in the Aleph500 System (see Section A).

Finally, the Aleph500 Access and Security wiki page has been completely revamped with improved information to help you better manage your employees' Aleph500 account access.

Because of these changes and the need to ensure that our agreements comply with University policies, we can no longer accept previous versions of the Aleph500 access and security request forms. The best way to ensure that you are using the most current forms is to download them directly from the Aleph500 Access and Security wiki page each time you need to submit a request.

Please take a moment to review this updated information and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Aleph500 Access and Security Wiki Page
Aleph500 Access and Security Policy
Agreement to Follow the University of Minnesota Libraries Aleph500 Security Policy
Aleph500 Permissions Request
Compliance Statement for Access to Patron Records and Patron Transactions in the Aleph500 System

Thank you,

Francine Dupont-Crocker
Your Friendly Neighborhood Aleph Security Administrator