Recently in NRL Category

You may recall that earlier this year when we were working on the transfer and consolidation of the Forestry and EFW libraries into the Natural Resources Library (NRL) we dealt with some titles where the NRL orders had been cancelled with the end of 2012 and for which the items had been sent to MLAC. The decision was made to check in the remaining 2012 issues on item records that had been given an NRL temporary location and send them over to NRL.

Now we are starting to receive the last 2012 issues on these orders and an issue has come up with how to process these since the holdings are MLAC. Our cancellation procedures require us to update the holdings records by adding the last volume to the holdings and changing the 'Receipt or Acquisition Status' in the 008 Fixed Field to '05' (Not Currently Received). The problem is that the holdings records are for MLAC and by updating the holdings it makes it appear that the issues are now in MLAC.

I have consulted with the staff over in St.Paul and they have notified me that we can handle these as we would with any of the other serials cancellations by updating the holdings record per the procedures even though the location will be listed as MLAC. Let me know if you have any questions and any problems can go to me.

Thanks,
Chris

NRL Processing Update 2

From email from Chris Koehler 5/22/12:

I'd like to give an update of the current status of updating the records for the EFW and Forestry Libraries as part of the Natural Resources Library (NRL) transfer in St.Paul.

As some of you might be aware the sub-library description for the sub-library codes TEFW, TFOR and TNRL is now displaying as "TC Natural Resources Library." Prior to the closure of the Forestry Library on May 13th the sub-library descriptions for TEFW and TFOR had reflected the former names of the branch libraries and TNRL had displayed as the EFW Library but now they are all displaying under the new name.

The holdings for the monograph records including the classified series have still not been updated from the TEFW or TFOR sub-library codes. The latest update I've received is that the staff in St.Paul are still reviewing and moving the books. They are trying to get this done soon but it might go into next week before the spreadsheets can go to Betsy to update the holdings. Please forward me any classified or cat sep items received on these records, I will hold them and process as soon as I know what the new locations are.

In the meantime I have updated the sub-library fields on the membership records to Magrath or NRL based on where the pieces received on the membership went. If you do run across any membership records the TEFW or TFOR sub-libraries let me know.

Finally, Scott Marsalis has just confirmed that the NRL and Plant Pathology unbound serials will no longer circulate which will bring them in line with Magrath and most other locations in the system. Chris Rose will be making global changes to the unbound item records to update the Item Statuses and I will need to have Michael Johnson run a macro to update the Item Statuses on all the Subscription Records for NRL, Plant Pathology and the transfered orders from Forestry & EFW to Magrath. Once the updates are made Scott will notify the staff in those locations that the new loan policy has taken effect. Let me know if you have any questions.

NRL processing update

Per email from Chris Koehler 5/11/12:

As you may be aware from Jerrie Bayer's announcement earlier this week the Forestry Library will be permanently closing this Sunday May 13, 2012 so I'd like to give an update of the current status of updating the former Forestry and EFW records.

Most of the periodicals orders have been updated to the correct locations of either Magrath or NRL but there are some problem items that we are trying to fix. Any periodicals received for which the order or subscription record still shows the TEFW or TFOR sublibrary can come to me to check on and fix.

The holdings for monographs have not been updated yet to their new sublibraries so I have not been able to update the order records for our standing orders to classified series and cat seps. I am assuming that they will get updated before this Monday so I'll be able to update the orders by the middle of next week but if that changes I will send out notice. There are some cat sep orders that will require the selectors to review to determine the new location so they will likely take longer to get updated. Any items received on these orders that don't have the new location can come to me.

The issues that were coming as gifts directly to the Forestry Library and sent up here for processing will be changed so they are sent and processed here at Wilson. I will be working on updating the orders and notifying the suppliers. The membership records will also need to be updated but they will be a lower priority so you may run across those for a bit longer.

If you have any questions or run across any unusual problems with these records let me know.

I'm reopening the dormant SerialsBlog to put up information relating to the Forestry-EFW merger and name change to the Natural Resources Library (NRL).

The first post is about an issue from back in December 2011 which may still be relevant and it's what to do with issues that come in for open (and/or recently cancelled) St.Paul subscriptions where the titles have been moved to MLAC or Printing Services (PS).

On 12/21/11 Fariha forwarded us an email from the project manager, Mary Miller, explaining what to do in this situation:

"A number of you have asked about what to do with journal issues that are coming into TS, which are part of St. Paul titles that have gone to MLAC or Printing Services. They can be sent to their original destination, whether it be Forestry, EFW, or Magrath. Amy's group will either send them on to MLAC, or in the case of Printing Services titles, she has a few half-full boxes awaiting transfer to PS that will accommodate the issues."