Recently in procedures and policies Category

You may recall that earlier this year when we were working on the transfer and consolidation of the Forestry and EFW libraries into the Natural Resources Library (NRL) we dealt with some titles where the NRL orders had been cancelled with the end of 2012 and for which the items had been sent to MLAC. The decision was made to check in the remaining 2012 issues on item records that had been given an NRL temporary location and send them over to NRL.

Now we are starting to receive the last 2012 issues on these orders and an issue has come up with how to process these since the holdings are MLAC. Our cancellation procedures require us to update the holdings records by adding the last volume to the holdings and changing the 'Receipt or Acquisition Status' in the 008 Fixed Field to '05' (Not Currently Received). The problem is that the holdings records are for MLAC and by updating the holdings it makes it appear that the issues are now in MLAC.

I have consulted with the staff over in St.Paul and they have notified me that we can handle these as we would with any of the other serials cancellations by updating the holdings record per the procedures even though the location will be listed as MLAC. Let me know if you have any questions and any problems can go to me.

Thanks,
Chris

Level 2 full-marks and SACAP serials

Per email from Laureen Boutang August 27, 2012:

Kim's students have been distributing the Level 2 full-marks among processors as Li Zhu is no longer working on them. I have asked Kim to have the students return to placing them on the full-mark shelf, and Amy will handle processing for the near future.

I'm reopening the dormant SerialsBlog to put up information relating to the Forestry-EFW merger and name change to the Natural Resources Library (NRL).

The first post is about an issue from back in December 2011 which may still be relevant and it's what to do with issues that come in for open (and/or recently cancelled) St.Paul subscriptions where the titles have been moved to MLAC or Printing Services (PS).

On 12/21/11 Fariha forwarded us an email from the project manager, Mary Miller, explaining what to do in this situation:

"A number of you have asked about what to do with journal issues that are coming into TS, which are part of St. Paul titles that have gone to MLAC or Printing Services. They can be sent to their original destination, whether it be Forestry, EFW, or Magrath. Amy's group will either send them on to MLAC, or in the case of Printing Services titles, she has a few half-full boxes awaiting transfer to PS that will accommodate the issues."

Lindsay & Croft Name and Payment Change

Announced 6/11/10 via email from Fariha:

Changes are being finalized with YBP and Blackwell. See the details below. As of June 26, 2010 LIND will be known as YBP-UK.

Let me know when you start seeing the new invoices. Lois and I are working to get the vendor records changed/created. We also need to change vendor codes on the records...when I have a complete list from YBP. Yumiko is working on the partial list we received.

Let me know you have any questions on this.

Thanks,
Fariha

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: L&C name/payment address change
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:11:12 -0400
From: Ann-Marie Breaux
To: Lois J Christian , , ,

Hi Lois, Fariha, Betsy, and Charles,

As part of the Blackwell transition project, there will be some changes to Lindsay & Croft. Back in December 2009, when Baker & Taylor bought Blackwell-US and James Bennett, there was a corresponding change in the UK. Blackwell-UK acquired Lindsay & Croft from YBP. Shortly thereafter, L&C's Bicester office was closed, the L&C staff were integrated into Blackwell-UK's Oxford office, and L&C Customer Service responsibility was transitioned to the YBP Customer Service Bibliographers. Since that time, we have continued to send UK shipments on L&C invoices and accept payments at a Bicester payment address.

All of that is about to change. As of June 26, Lindsay & Croft will be known as YBP UK Library Services. From that point onward, shipments will be under the YBP-UK name, and invoices will reflect the new name and payment address. The shipments will be sent from Blackwell-UK's warehouse, but on a YBP-UK invoice and in a YBP box. I've attached a copy of a stuffer that is going out in this week's L&C shipments which has more details about the payment address change.

You'll notice that the payment addresses are now the same for YBP's US and UK operations. Despite that, we ask you to continue to identify YBP as two separate vendors in your local systems. We continue to maintain a distinction between US and UK ordering subaccounts within a library's YBP account structure. Those distinctions affect which warehouse generates a particular invoice and shipment, the native currency of the invoice, and whether the title is billed at a standard discount or with an import service fee. Additionally, the YBP US and YBP UK GST and SAN numbers remain distinct.

YBP continues to maintain a UK presence, via our partnership with Blackwell-UK. In addition, the mechanics of YBP's UK approval plans, notification plans, and standing orders will operate as before. The only differences will be the changes to our UK name and payment address. In the coming weeks and months, you will begin to see the name change reflected in other printed documents, approval profiles, technical specifications, and GOBI. We're also planning some additional communications about this in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I wanted to go ahead and be sure you had the information ASAP. If you have any questions about these changes, please let me know.

Thanks,
A-M

Ann-Marie Breaux
Vice President, Academic Service Integration
YBP Library Services
Phone/fax: (678) 445-5720 vmail: (800) 258-3774 x3504
e-mail: abreaux@ybp.com

Inactive Serial Titles New Procedure

Cecilia has let us know that we need to notify Serials Catalog when we get a report from vendor that a title is "inactive".

In the past, we have left the order open, but extended the claim date for titles that were reported as being "inactive". I would like you to close the order record in these cases using CLS status. Sometimes the vendors keep the order open, sometimes they close, so better to have these closed off. And if the title ever becomes active again and we receive any issues, we can always open up the order again and notify serials cataloging if the record needs to be reopened or notes need to be made on the bib record.

Thanks,
Fariha

[Edited slightly from Fariha's email dated 3/4/10]