The uniformity and ease with which our discussion group discriminated between the feeling one gets around someone with a physical injury or disease as apposed to mental illness was thought provoking in contrast with the disparate views on why that is. Is it the breach of the social contract through abnormal behavior? Is it the unpredictable behavior that makes us uncomfortable? Is it fear of being attacked? Is it caused by not knowing why someone is acting a certain way?

At first I thought it might be fear of violent behavior, but then I watched Ted Bundy and he's so "normal" it's hard to imagine being scared if you didn't know who he was if you met him.

Then I thought it might be the lack of cues about what was going on inside, especially through flat affect, but Jeffery Dahlmer is only slightly more creepy than Bundy, even when speaking on the subject of his murders.

I don't think it's simply the breach of the social contract, because my girlfriend thinks this guy's hot. While people do stare I would hazard to guess it is more because they don't know why than that it is happening. I would suspect that if people were told it was Tourette's that they would ignore it pretty quickly.

My personal feeling is that this uncomfortable feeling is caused by the unpredictable behavior of certain mental illnesses combined with situation. A disheveled, dirty man speaking to himself on a bus would likely cause more people to feel discomfort than an attractive, clean woman doing the same thing. Likewise, an "average Joe" talking to himself and acting otherwise abnormal because of mental illness would cause more disquiet than would the same person exhibiting the same behaviors but known to you to be doing so because a brain tumor was pressing particular areas responsible for the behavior. It would be interesting to do some naturalistic observation followed up by surveys to start to parse the source of these often visceral feelings of disquiet. Do you feel differently about any of my examples? How?

Mental-Health-Humor_coming_out_500.jpg

Societal Outcasts

In our discussion group, we talked about why people are willing to bring over soup when friends aren't feeling well or drop off books when a family member is recovering from a broken leg but tend to avoid people when they're diagnosed with a psychological disorder. As a society we've been ignoring these people for years. Our book talks about Thomas Szasz who claimed in the 1960s that people didn't actually have psychological disorders but they were just people unaccepted by society. Szasz has been proven wrong about his theory about mental illness but he was correct about society's negative attitude towards people suffering from psychological disorders. As I walk to work each morning there are a number of people I pass that are clearly suffering from mental illness. Some are struggling from addiction, asking for money for their next drink. Others are carrying on heated conversations with "someone" the rest of us can't see. They need help, but rarely do you ever see people reaching out. Instead people cross to the other side of the walkway or throw garbage in their collection cups. These folks are often homeless with no place to go. Should asylums be brought back?
Asylum.jpg

The blog that grabbed my interest this week was on Bipolar Disorder. I think it takes a lot of courage for someone to write about themselves.

Conformity For the Good or Bad?

The idea of conformity usually takes on a negative impression.
t3t9390qsz.jpg
Throughout ages on Earth, conformity has been seen as not only what is popular at the time, but also in evil plans of action. The work done by Adolph Hitler, where he created a massive army to destroy the Jewish race in Germany, was primarily through the use of young boys conforming to an un-asking militia out to do the deed of one greedy man.
However, conformity has its up sides as well.
conformity-conformity-demotivational-poster-1268769035.jpg
Believe it or not, conforming is something that could be considered evolutionary. When asked in class as to why we conform, it was extremely hard to answer. This could be due to the fact that it is something in our biology that we know to do but do not quite understand the purpose behind it. On an evolutionary stand point, conforming has been for the good. It has taught us to stick together in a herd in order to stay protected and well fed. It has taught us what is socially acceptable to do and what is not. it has taught us that in order to live a long and healthy life, we should not abandon our natural instinct to do what others around us are doing (as long as its healthy).
Overall, conforming has kept us alive back in the days where men and women lived as cave people, and it is one of the main reasons that we are still alive to this day.

Improved Consciousness

The broad definition of consciousness is our subjective experience of the world and ourselves. It is our ever-changing awareness of the world, also including our thoughts, emotions, and sensations.

Not only is the definition very broad, but the number of alterations of consciousness is very large as well. In fact, across a typical day we experience a great number of altered states in our consciousness. Theses changes range from small to profound.

These alterations can range from working to solve a math problem to having an out of body experience. Other profound alterations include hallucinations, Déjà vu, mystical, hypnosis. Drugs can bring many of these alterations on.

This got my curiosity going, because if we have found drugs such as Lysergic acid diethylamide, and Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, which alter consciousness with the onset of hallucinations and psychedelic experiences, then maybe someday we will have a drug that gives us complete awareness and focus. Most importantly though, I have become aware that consciousness is a loosely defined subject that I hope to learn more about, and hopefully will have a greater knowledge of 5 years from now!

alex gray.jpg

Following the wrong crowd

group-discussion.jpg

Conformity refers to the natural tendency of following the crowd because of stress and confusion in the event of disagreement in perception with others as shown in the Ash studies. Obedience, as shown in the Milgram Paradigm, is people's inclination of obeying instructions even if they know what they are doing is wrong or unethical. Both phenomena have profound implications in corporate environment. The decision-making process in a corporation may well be subject to conformity scheme and correct decision may not be made. If the top makes the wrong decision, and the rest follows faithful to the decision as in Milgram Paradigm, the corporation may very well fail completely, or conduct ethical corporate acts. How do we solve these problems? Corporate structure is essential, but further research is needed in designing the optimal corporate structure.

My favorite blog is http://blog.lib.umn.edu/wlas0006/1001/2011/12/finding-the-source-of-conformity.html

Conform at the Vikings Game

Five years from now the subject of psychology I think I will remember most is the idea of conformity. My parents raised me to be my own person and to never follow the crowd. After watching the candid camera episode in which the people continually turned with the actor and actresses, I do not know if I would not do that myself. Also I would like to think that if I was a part of the line test I would stick to my guns and give the correct answer even if the rest of the people did not. This is what my parents told me to do so I would really hope I could do them proud. This subject also correlated with my ecology class. In ecology we talk about the behavior of animals instead of humans, but it is amazing how much of these behaviors overlap with one another. Similar to humans, animals also group together as a way to increase their survival rate and ability to pass on their genes to the next generation. While conformity is seen in the most complex ecosystem, it can also be easily studied at a football game. vikings-fans.jpg A new Viking football game is played every Sunday, and every Sunday the fans perform the same cheers even if it is their first game. A person who is at their first game has learned by the end of the game, what hand motions to do after the Vikings have made a first down, what cheer to sing after a touchdown, and when to sit-down or stand-up. They learn all of this by conforming to what the veteran fans are doing. I will remember conformity in five year because it is something that I will see and experience every day, so I cannot easily forget it.

My favorite blog post this week was on Teen Peer pressure because it took what we are learning in class and related it to a real world issue.
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/wlas0006/1001/2011/12/peer-pressure.html

Everyday Use

I would say in general there isn't a specific concept to remember in five years. I already use psychology in my everyday life, therefore I would obviously use it again thereafter. To be specific whenever thinking about society I would use psychology. When thinking of people's ability to do things and how they think I would question many thing's relating to psychology. If I was to choose, I think I would use social psychology the most in five years I would say. Everyone's lives revolves around each other so they're going to question about how each other behave, and I know I'm one of those who would use psychology to persuade myself to believe in how people behave.

Psychology.gif

I think overall, I would think of any psychology concepts regardless of whichever one it is. This is again because like many others I get very curious with how this or that works with people's minds and why people behave this way or how they behave. Even though I would not use specific terms from the psychology 1001 class to describe what something is, I would still use the concepts that I remember. I feel that even though five years from now, when I have forgotten about what I learned from psychology I would still use it in my own way not knowing that I am using it.

What would you say about this? Do you think psychology is used everyday even if it's five years from now?

20111127.gif

Importance of Psychology

psychology004.jpg

After taking the Introduction to Psychology course this semester the concepts I will remember the best will be the Scientific Thinking Principles. Not only do they appear on nearly every page in our textbook, but they also show up on every exam. These crucial terms will help my critical thinking skills as I continue in education. Ruling out rival hypothesis, correlation vs. causation, falsifiability, replicability, extraordinary claims, and occam's razor are huge for the course and the field of psychology. I will use things like Occam's Razor in everyday when I am wondering how I locked myself out of the dorm, and figuring out that crop circles, were a prank. I have learned to re-evauluate claims made by people and making sure that there is always evidence for the experiments. The psychology course will help me determine validity from people and ideas from now on.

My Favorite post of the week was: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/wlas0006/1001/2011/12/psychology-behind-rain-man.html

The field of social psychology is one that, over the years, has gained a whole new importance in better understanding human behavior and, more central to the field itself, human interactions. Within the field of social psychology, which our textbook defines as "the study of how people influence others' behavior, beliefs, and attitudes" there has developed the important study of social influence.

conformity.jpg

Our book breaks down social influence further, into acts of conformity and obedience. Conformity, as many evolutionary psychologists have theorized, is thought to be an adaptive trait--something that we as humans have evolved over time--to help the formation of social groups, resulting in stronger biological fitness. Through experiments such as the Asch Studies psychologists have tried to pinpoint the causes of conformity, with some looking correlation between conformity and the "Big 5" personality traits. When looking at the "Big 5" personality traits, however, studies have failed to expose any correlation between one personality trait and the likelihood of conforming in the Asch Studies. This lack of correlation has made it impossible to associate the likelihood of conformity with any one trait; however these findings may, in some ways, point us to the real answer. I think that conformity is in fact a very adaptive trait, and has been developed through evolution to help provide humans with connections that help with the survival of the species. This being the case, the truth may be that it's not one or two of the "Big 5" personality traits that leads to conformity, but instead--it's all of them. All of the "Big 5" traits in my mind provide a person with the tendency toward conformity, with conformity being one of the few constants through the 5 traits. Whether its extraversion, openness, agreeableness, conscientiousness, or even neuroticism, they all seem to give a person the tendency to conform to the majority of people around them.

Pop - by liefs003 was a good blog entry. With good pictures and provides an interesting take on specialization and central planning. Should we look to the leafcutter ants for cues to building our society? They sure did a good job at building their society.

Why do we conform? What factors determine whether or not we conform? Conformity is a tendency of people to alter their behavior as a result of group pressure. We have all been at the mercy of conformity at one time or another, some more than others. Some factors that determine whether or not somebody will conform or not would include unanimity, difference in the wrong answer & size.

People are more likely to conform in a group larger in size as opposed to a smaller group. Knowing that somebody else in a group differed from the majority made the person less likely to conform. If the decision was unanimous then people are more likely to conform. For example, the person in the elevator conformed because of size & unanimity. Everybody was turning so he took it upon himself to turn & follow the crowd. I have conformed at some points in my life due to these reasons but only because the end result was still in my favor.

Pop

Ant_Link.jpg
The topic of social psychology is itself less interesting than the questions it begs of socio-/population biology at large. To my mind, we take for granted such concepts as central planning and specialized knowledge, and our estimation of the world suffers when we're not careful to account for our indelible inclination to weigh our observations against our familiarity with other presocial mammals. By this habit we are, perhaps occasionally, amiss in our measure of value. It's by our instinctive desire for leadership by committee and class stratification that man has achieved valuable goals, such as planning cities and tricking staple crops with genetic feints.

Antwork.jpgNevertheless, consider that leafcutter ants---possessed of brains smaller than chickpeas and devoid of personalities---build vast structures to complex engineering requirements. Their lairs stretch widely underground and in hillocks above, incorporating intricate ductwork to evacuate the deep reaches of spent air, and dedicated architecture for sanitation processes. Special chambers for fungiculture are expertly maintained; colonies will test different substrates for optimal growth, and forego thereafter any found to be fungicidal. Accounting for the disparity in size between the species, if any ant superstructure was approximated to human scale, it would be hundreds of miles in diameter, with towers a dozen miles high. Yet there is not to be found an ant spreading blueprints over the hood of a pickup, delegating tasks to other ants in hard hats.

They attend to their success with only the most straightforward and uninspired social cues, complex though wholly uncomplicated. Presume that behavior is an emergent phenomena (it is), and consider that leafcutters have hardly fixed a system that is hardly broken for about twenty million years. Although man's evolutionary trend severely outpaces the leafcutter's---2.5 million years between orangutan-esque tools and elaborate cave paintings; only 35,000 years between cave paintings and The Matrix---man has not perfected a uniform social hierarchy. Consider that all ant species probably comprise one of the largest chunks of animal biomass on the planet. If you were an objective observer, i.e. a synthesized sapient thing from a distant star, which would you classify as the most successful animal on Earth?

Psychology Behind "Rain Man"

The movie "Rain Man" starring Dustin Hoffman is a movie about a man suffering from Asperger's Disorder which is a form of autism. rain man.jpg In this movie 'Rain Man' is a adult who lacks the ability to form lasting social relationships or connections with anyone that he meets as a result of his disorder.

The miraculous and intriguing thing about this adult is his extraordinary brain activity and abilities that he possesses. One scene in the movie is when he is at a restaurant and a box of straws falls to the ground, and without even being asked he mutters a number--corresponding to the number of straws that fell onto the ground. Thumbnail image for rain-man-full-1.jpg

There is also another scene where his extraordinary ability to solve complicated math problems is depicted, at the casino. He is able to count cards in a casino when playing Blackjack. I thought that this was very intriguing because of the fact that he has Asperger's and lacks social ability but has these miraculous attributes that allow him to perform these incredible feats.

There is something remarkable about the fact that he makes up for what he lacks with a talent that is unheard of, and I began to wonder whether this actually occurs for people suffering from autism. This movie poses a very intriguing psychology question, and I wonder if autistic people characteristically or rarely have this extraordinary brain activity.

This is a very good movie and I highly recommend watching it if you have not already seen it.

Myer Briggs Personality Test

As we have learned, there are two primary ways to measure personality, and the most common methods used are nomothetic. Of course the one we have learned in class is the big five, but interestingly it is not the only wide spread used one. There are other widely accepted tests.

mbti1-en.jpg

I took a different type of personality test relatively recently, Called the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. And I think it is a very interesting test. And similar to the big Five, it measures mainly on four dimensions as seen in the chart above. I personally got ENFJ (commonly known as the teacher) (which is Extroversion, Intuition, Feeling and Judgement). The first two I was not surprised. However the last two dimensions I was surprised. Anyway, when you take a legitimate test, you will get a more personalized score that describes how you scored within each dimension( there are sub traits for those traits)

Parenting Styles

The human development portion of our coursework is one I will likely always remember and take away from psychology 1001. More specifically the section on parenting styles (Permissive, Authoritarian, Authoritative, Uninvolved) and their implications is what I'll remember. I found this section interesting because I've seen these parenting styles in the parents of ]friends that I've met throughout my life. Some of my friends have recently had kids of their own and it got me wondering about when I one day will hopefully have children of my own. This portion on developmental psychology gave me a better and deeper understanding in the dynamics of parenthood. This section answered questions I previously held and gave me better knowledge in important areas of parenting. If anything, I learned how critical the father role plays in the development of children from this section. Even though this isn't exactly applicable to my current living situations; I hope to one day use this knowledge. I hope to use the insight I've gained from developmental psychology to help foster and raise my children into good people and citizens who will help contribute to the betterment of society.

bill-cosby-little-bill.jpg

The Psychology Of Me

Of all the topics covered this year in psychology, I think that the one topic I will certainly remember five years from now are the theories of personality. The main reason is that I found personality to be the most interesting subject covered. But another reason is that it has helped me realize who I am as a person.

For instance, after taking a few personality quizzes, I found consistently low scores concerning conscientiousness. While this wasn't all too surprising, it still shaped my life in a positive way. Now that I know I'm unorganized and a terrible planner, I have tried keeping my life more orderly and not waiting until the last minute to get stuff done (notice how I gave myself five full hours to finish this).
Personality.jpg
Also, I couldn't help but being drawn somewhat to Sigmund Freud's theory. While most of it I think is ridiculous, his ideas about defensiveness seemed were particularly interesting in my opinion, given that I possess a defensive personality to begin with. This has impacted me by helping me understand what I do when I'm angry and by helping me tone it down a little.

I would recommend this course to anyone.

Peer pressure

Vote 1 Vote

Every year in Hollywood there are always a lot of movies about school life in high school, which are lively and attractive to all ages. But not everybody exactly have a memorable and happy time when they are in school. Peer pressure usually comes to be the greatest spoiler.
According to social psychology, people may do things that seems extremely stupid and wired when they are faced with huge group pressure, especially peer pressure, let alone teenagers. Try to come up with some old memory clips. Did you ever bully or tease other poor guys in school just because your "leader" ask you to do so or just everyone altogether do it so you didn't wants to look different?
peer-pressure.jpg
Teenagers often wants to try somethings fancy or "fashionable". Do they really know the reason they want to try that thing? Do they know if it is harmful to their health or their mental state to take drugs, being alcoholic, and have a baby at 17? No. They do these just because other guys at their age all behave like this and the best way they think is to "keep in line". Only few people could stay in their way and keep aware.

Are You a Risk Taker?

The article Addictive Personality? You Might be a Leader talks about common characteristics found among great leaders; intelligence, creativity and the drive to succeed. These are characteristics many people would claim to have, so what is it that keeps people from being the next Steve Jobs? I think what sets apart top leaders is the willingness to take risks. We're living in a society where people have a rapidly increasing sense of entitlement. Everyone wants success & greatness handed to them and aren't willing to put in the work or take the gamble of losing everything they have for a chance at something bigger. Great leaders are not only willing to take the risk, but thrive on it. They've sacrificed relationships, time, money, comforts & likely failed many times along the way but their willingness to keep gambling it what eventually pay offs. Everyone wants to achieve great things, but how much are you willing to risk?
Entitlement

The Social Personality

The personality dimension of introversion -extraversion plays a key role for students coming to college for the first time. Possessing traits like warmth, gregariousness, sense of adventure, enthusiasm and ambition can lead to plenty of social attention and personal success.

science-of-extraversion-large.jpg

Yet extraverts have two potentially troublesome traits such as impulsivity and dominance than can get them into trouble.

Addictive Personality.pdf

Several studies have shown how introverts differ from extraverts in unique ways. As you examine and think about the findings of these studies, consider what consequences these differences might have on both extraverts and introverts.

Introverts demonstrate faster classical conditioning because they are more easily aroused.

Introverts react more strongly to punishment and extraverts react more strongly to rewards

Extraversion predicts heavy drinking in college students

Now that you've done a bit of serious thinking about introversion and extraversion, for fun try taking the Hidden Brain Damage Scale.docx

introvert.jpg

intellect.jpg

You probably think you are pretty smart. To get some idea of how smart you are relative to the population, a psychologist would have you take the 90 minute Wechsler test. I know you don't have that kind of time now, so how about a 5 minute version?

A Five minute intelligence test

So these questions are a bit tricky but do they measure everything we consider to make up intelligence?Picture 1.png

Think of the smartest person you know. What characteristics can you describe that make this person intelligent?

Is it just one thing or many things? Are those abilities related or distinct. Did that person become intelligent from living in an environment that supported education, did they inherit intelligent genes or did they get that way through hard work and constant study?

These are important questions that psychologists still don't have clear answers for. You may think the 5 minute test above is not exactly a valid test of intelligence but what is?

Some researchers have tried to boil down all of the different types of intelligence tests into a set of 12 that describes the broadest range of cognitive abilities with the fewest amount of tests.

The 12 pillars of wisdom.pdf

Even after scholars examine decades of intelligence research I still wonder if this captures why some people seem smarter than others and why higher levels of intelligence lead to better life outcomes. emotional_intelligence_jpg_230x150_crop-0,0_q85.jpg

In class we discussed a recent study that demonstrated self-control was another important aspect separate from intelligence that accounted for success in life. Others have suggested that motivation may play a role as well.

Intelligence and motivation.pdf

Finally, no matter how smart a person is, if they can't relate to other people their intelligence might be wasted. Many scholars have theorized about emotional intelligence as being essential to communicating ideas to others, gathering the support needed to accomplish goals and leadership to guide the process.

Do you think you could describe what characteristics are involved with emotional or interpersonal intelligence? Complete the activity and then think about how this ability fits with the more traditional view of intelligence as measured by the tests in the 12 Pillars article.

Measuring Interpersonal Intelligence.docx

Development of Television

Vote 1 Vote

This week in discussion we focused on the development of violence in children and specifically how violent television and video games causes (or if it causes) the development of violence. This got me thinking about how television affects children in general. It is a known fact that children of the new generations spend more time, on average, sitting in front of the television either watching T.V. or playing video games. In the future, it will be interesting to see the effects this has on the children both in their mental and physical health. Unlike previous generations, these children are constantly stimulated, so less time will be spent enhancing their imagination. According, to chapter 10 in our psychology book, there are specific stages of development during a child's life, so I wonder if increased time spent in front of the television will effect this development. These stages start from birth and continue into old age, but while every child goes through stages of the development the order and the amount of time spent in each stage is different for each child.
People have done studies on this matter and have theorized different development stages, but I am more interested in the generations being born now because they are going to grow up in world that is almost completely dependent on computers and technology. I have witnessed this just in the past four years of college. When I was a freshman I would turn most of my papers in physically, but now I have not turned one physical paper in, instead I turn everything in on the internet. I even take tests on computers. While this has affected our society positively, the overall affect it has on the development of children will not be known for many years. All we can do right now is hypothesize about the effects.

Favorite Blogs
1. Lucid Dreaming and Inception (vangx) - this is my favorite movie, and even after learning about dreaming in class, I never thought about it along with this movie, so I really liked how the blog made that connection.
2. How to improve memory (jungx169) - As students we are always trying to learn how to remember things better. I am no different, so this blog was not only interesting but it effected my everyday life.
3. You can kid the World, but not your sister (wilke247) - I am an only child, so the relationship between siblings has always been interesting to me, so I usually find it fun to read about people's dynamics with their brothers and sisters.

Children and TV.gif

The overwhelming message of the developmental chapter in our book other than that being a French child-psychologist (I think the hyphen is key here) is a ticket to immortality, is that there is a major struggle between experiential and innate development in children. As with seemingly all nature vs. nurture debates, the answer seems to so clearly lie "somewhere in between" that you have to wonder how some of these psychologists became so convinced that their rigid approach to developmental theory could hold true with creatures as varied as juvenile great apes.

That said, new information from the burgeoning field of evodevo (evolutionary development) and the concept of epigenetics seems to be wedging their way into the staid debate betwixt the two great Ns. Case in point is this recent article about autism that seems to point (although the design was small and we all know where that can lead relative to this topic, cough, cough, Andrew Wakefield, cough, ashwholl, cough...) to the fact that issues occurring in prenatal development may be the cause of autism. The likely culprit in this case seems to be a fetal developmental one that may be mostly genetic according to twin studies but which is nonetheless caused during the growth process of a human rather than because of a blueprint or environmental (cough, Wakefield, dooshbg, cough...) factor.

Given the non-nature or nurture nature of autism development and the road blocks that its manifestation puts up in front of any fundamental changes in personality subsequent to birth, precisely because of the developmental deficiencies inherent in the spectrum disorder, this may be one of the few ways in which a human's cognitive development is governed mostly by non-genetic and non-environmental factors. Put that in your pipe, and smoke it Piaget, stage my ass.

4618150003_588551c92b_o.jpg

Click on cartoon to see the full monty.

My favorite posts to date are, in no particular order, other than best to not best:

1) Is your brain full? by glen0041 - Interesting topic to me. I recently took the Strong Interest Inventory and was not sure if it was kosher. I think the best indicator of personality is your star sign. I'm an ares.

2) Lucid dreaming and Inception by vangx890 - I am one of those people that rarely if ever remember that they dreamed upon waking much less what the dream was about. I thought this blog post was great and made great use of the movie clip.

3) Waiting Until the Last Minute, Again?! by zhan1689 - I, like most people in life probably think of themselves as champion procrastinators. I tried Premack's suggestion and it failed utterly. Turns out when I both control the stimulus and the eject button I chose the eject button. I need some to double blind me. Great post.

loveatfirstsightk.jpg

After reading about the major principles that guide attractions and relationships it sparked real life situations. The principles say that; proximity, similarity, and reciprocity guide the strong relationships. These principles counter the idea of love at first sight. At first sight we do not know that we have any similarities with each other, and we have not had proximity. Still countless people seem to believe that they met their soul mate when they first set eyes on them. I totally agree that you can be attracted to someone at first sight but after reading this chapter I do not see how "love at first sight" works.

I have been in a relationship now for a while, and I can see that it was built on all three of those principles. The proximity part was huge because if I did not see her as often I would not have gotten to know her and find our similarities. I am not calling people that say they fell in love at their first meeting crazy in any way, I just believe that its going to take a little more work to find someone that you have a good connection with than just going off the basis of attraction.

Favorite Posts:
Anwey: Because I think that it is very interesting seeing how pre birth health issues can affect newborn children.
Liefs003: I think that their opinion was very strong and their evidence to back it up was even stronger.
Keise021: I like how he put real life situations into his blog post, and it is evidence that the principles of relationship building works.

Over the past decade scientists have gained a new understanding of brain function and structure through advances in medical imaging technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging and electroencephalography or EEG. Through these amazing medical advances we can now reliably measure changes in brain activity that is directly associated with thoughts, feelings, and behaviors; in theory leading to the reality of the previously science fiction concept of reading someone's mind.

brain.png

With these new possibilities of using modern neuroscience techniques to gain direct access to a person's thoughts, feelings, or knowledge has come new ethical questions about the technology's applications. The most pressing of these questions revolves around the developing use of these technologies in lie-detection techniques. Lie-detection technology through these neuroscience techniques are currently being developed by United States defense agencies for the use in criminal and terrorist investigations. The new ethical questions that are raised with the use of these more reliable and precise methods are more complex and pressing than the questions normally raised with polygraph test. A study on these technologies done by the Center for Neuroscience and Society and the University of Pennsylvania presents the idea of "cognitive liberty," and stresses the importance of the debate over the limits that should be placed on the state's right to peer into an individual's thought processes with or without his or her consent, and the proper use of such information in civil, forensic, and security settings.

minority.jpg

What should be the limits when it comes to the government finding intelligence and information about crimes, both large and small? Some say that the nation's security is worth giving up some freedoms while others won't give up any of their "cognitive liberty." What side of the debate are you on?

Top Blogs:
Shaping a Generation Through Advertising? - schre230 - very informative and interesting. Kids see 40000 ad on TV a year, crazy right?

The Fate of Our Weight - walke954 - informative, new information to me about the set point. I have often wondered about the genetics of weight and body size, with the amount of variation throughout the population.

Incentive Theory: Internal wealth or external wealth? - nzaro002 - another interesting post, with a cool video. Although it's a little long, it's worthwhile, and can really open eyes to a new way of thinking.

Opposites Attract?

Similarity, Proximity & Reciprocity. These are all factors that are taken into account when taking a closer look at relationships. The age old myth "Opposites Attract" may be true in one or two aspects but as an overall it is not.

2009-06-17-opposites-attract.jpg

Proximity is key in starting relationships because it is whats convenient for most people. It allows people to become comfortable with others and their surroundings. When you gain the trust of others it is easier when they are close by and easily accessible.
Similarity is vital in relationships because we most see ourselves with people who share common interests, goals and views. It makes it easier to speak that person, which in turn strengthens the relationship.
Reciprocity is the least important of the three in relationships. Once the relationship has started then it is very, very important to have a good level of reciprocity. Reciprocity helps a relationship grow deeper and when both parties are gaining positively from these exchanges then they get bigger and better.
I'm in a long-distance relationship myself & I can say that proximity did help start the relationship. We hung out a lot over the summer before she left for school and just seeing her everyday made the attraction grow. We are alike in more ways than others and our opposites sometimes cause confrontation but it is our similarities that help us get back on track. Now that we have been dating for some time the reciprocity has played a great role. She does things, mentally and physically, for me that help take this relationship to new heights and vice versa.
Favorite Posts-
1. Anwey001- Interesting take on Insomnia and the Economy
2. Wilke247- The tip of the tongue. A phenomena so common but yet we ignore it.
3. Mill3984- Cramming is so common in many of us but not always the best path.

Recent Assets

• Mental-Health-Humor_coming_out_500.jpg
  • Psychology.gif
  • Asylum.jpg
  • conformity-conformity-demotivational-poster-1268769035.jpg
  • t3t9390qsz.jpg
  • alex gray.jpg
  • group-discussion.jpg
  • vikings-fans.jpg
  • 20111127.gif
  • psychology004.jpg