Development of Television

Vote 1 Vote

This week in discussion we focused on the development of violence in children and specifically how violent television and video games causes (or if it causes) the development of violence. This got me thinking about how television affects children in general. It is a known fact that children of the new generations spend more time, on average, sitting in front of the television either watching T.V. or playing video games. In the future, it will be interesting to see the effects this has on the children both in their mental and physical health. Unlike previous generations, these children are constantly stimulated, so less time will be spent enhancing their imagination. According, to chapter 10 in our psychology book, there are specific stages of development during a child's life, so I wonder if increased time spent in front of the television will effect this development. These stages start from birth and continue into old age, but while every child goes through stages of the development the order and the amount of time spent in each stage is different for each child.
People have done studies on this matter and have theorized different development stages, but I am more interested in the generations being born now because they are going to grow up in world that is almost completely dependent on computers and technology. I have witnessed this just in the past four years of college. When I was a freshman I would turn most of my papers in physically, but now I have not turned one physical paper in, instead I turn everything in on the internet. I even take tests on computers. While this has affected our society positively, the overall affect it has on the development of children will not be known for many years. All we can do right now is hypothesize about the effects.

Favorite Blogs
1. Lucid Dreaming and Inception (vangx) - this is my favorite movie, and even after learning about dreaming in class, I never thought about it along with this movie, so I really liked how the blog made that connection.
2. How to improve memory (jungx169) - As students we are always trying to learn how to remember things better. I am no different, so this blog was not only interesting but it effected my everyday life.
3. You can kid the World, but not your sister (wilke247) - I am an only child, so the relationship between siblings has always been interesting to me, so I usually find it fun to read about people's dynamics with their brothers and sisters.

Children and TV.gif

Interesting post. It seems that every generation believes something has distracted the youth. Distractions has always been around no matter what era, just in different forms. Just think when you were young your mom or father would tell you to "put that away" or "after you're done eating", these were all distractions that you and other kids your age at the time were dealing with and you came out ok right? I think the idea of distractions and child development has seeped over from our aging demographic. It comes from their concern that turns it into a issue. The main problem is the fact that older generations will never understand the youth of their time (they're out of the loop!) so that panic which in turn prompts studies etc. In another 50 years there will be something else distracting and the internet will be old news.

I don't worry so much about testing and writing taking place on computers. If it makes these things easier to do, then there seems to be little loss about transferring the work from one medium to another.

The greater concern with screen time is that the entertainment piece is become so engrossing that people spend too much time sitting.

Often a sedentary body is also connected to a unfocused mind and easily gratified mind which might transform the human race into self satisfied blobs like in Wall-E.