Conform or not conform.. That is the question

Why do we conform? What factors determine whether or not we conform? Conformity is a tendency of people to alter their behavior as a result of group pressure. We have all been at the mercy of conformity at one time or another, some more than others. Some factors that determine whether or not somebody will conform or not would include unanimity, difference in the wrong answer & size.

People are more likely to conform in a group larger in size as opposed to a smaller group. Knowing that somebody else in a group differed from the majority made the person less likely to conform. If the decision was unanimous then people are more likely to conform. For example, the person in the elevator conformed because of size & unanimity. Everybody was turning so he took it upon himself to turn & follow the crowd. I have conformed at some points in my life due to these reasons but only because the end result was still in my favor.