Psychology Behind "Rain Man"

The movie "Rain Man" starring Dustin Hoffman is a movie about a man suffering from Asperger's Disorder which is a form of autism. rain man.jpg In this movie 'Rain Man' is a adult who lacks the ability to form lasting social relationships or connections with anyone that he meets as a result of his disorder.

The miraculous and intriguing thing about this adult is his extraordinary brain activity and abilities that he possesses. One scene in the movie is when he is at a restaurant and a box of straws falls to the ground, and without even being asked he mutters a number--corresponding to the number of straws that fell onto the ground. Thumbnail image for rain-man-full-1.jpg

There is also another scene where his extraordinary ability to solve complicated math problems is depicted, at the casino. He is able to count cards in a casino when playing Blackjack. I thought that this was very intriguing because of the fact that he has Asperger's and lacks social ability but has these miraculous attributes that allow him to perform these incredible feats.

There is something remarkable about the fact that he makes up for what he lacks with a talent that is unheard of, and I began to wonder whether this actually occurs for people suffering from autism. This movie poses a very intriguing psychology question, and I wonder if autistic people characteristically or rarely have this extraordinary brain activity.

This is a very good movie and I highly recommend watching it if you have not already seen it.