A Voice with No Words

I cannot even begin to imagine growing up without learning to speak a language because language is such an integral part of human life. For a young girl named Genie, that was her unfortunate reality. Because she was isolated for the first 13 years of her life, Genie missed the critical period for language learning and was never able to learn one language fluently. I think it is interesting that after a certain point in ones life, language can no longer be learned fluently.

freedom-of-speech-and-express.jpg

How would you be able to go through life without being able to speak any language?

This sounds like an interesting story Emily.

Will you provide a link to any additional information about Genie?

I agree with Jhon--I would love to learn a little bit more about Genie as well. It sounds like she has an interesting story, but I just don't understand what happened to her that she hadn't spoken for the 1st 13 years of her life. On the other hand, I LOVE your title--it truly drew me in and that's why I read your blog. Thanks for sharing this--Truly interesting :)

This is really interesting to me, I know Genie is one of the most severe cases of a feral child. She was locked in her bathroom and strapped to a toilet for most of her life. This is so sad to me that a child couldn't experience the most crucial part of her life. I found an article on her because I was curious to see how she grew up or where she is now. "Today Genie is 51. She is again in psychological confinement as a ward of the state -- her sixth foster home. And again, she is speechless."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4804490&page=1#.TrdOG7JkWZQ

If I were unable to speak, I would be forced to rely on my other senses and find other ways to communicate with friends and family. Today, texting great tool for those unable to speak.