HONEY BADGER DON'T CARE!!!!!

/Users/marinamossaad/Desktop/Screen shot 2011-10-01 at 5.22.20 PM.png

When I first heard about the amygdala, all that could come to mind was the honey badger. In case you have no idea what I am talking about, please watch this short (and hilarious) clip so that you can understand why on earth I am talking about some small furry mammal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Ok, so now that we are all on the same page, I can properly begin to blog my thoughts. So obviously, after seeing how fearless the honey badger is, I began to wonder if there was anything peculiar about their amygdala's... Like is it a smaller size? Do they even have one? What on earth do they use it for?

To my surprise, I couldn't really find any articles with any research based on honey badger amygdalas (but if anyone else could, it would be a GREAT way to comment this blog **hint**hint**). So I then began to wonder, would humans benefit if they were more fearless like the honey badger?

One has to admit, when it comes to disorders like OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, the amygdala can be quite a burden. But still, would we gain any profit if we were able to reduce its affects? Would we strive more as a species if we took more risks and with less hesitations?

/Users/marinamossaad/Desktop/Screen shot 2011-10-01 at 6.00.35 PM.png

In the end, I decided no.
Let's think about it; humans are weak in all physical senses of the word. We have no claws, no super speed, no poison, no protective shells or tough skin, heck we don't even have camouflage. We are basically soft squishy bags of free meat, and the only reason we are still alive is because of our brains. Yes, we are the most dominant species on this planet, not because of our strength, but because of our ability to analyze situations and learn from our mistakes.

So overall, if we had any harm to our precious amygdala's, it would only end badly for the homo-sapiens.

But hey, thats just my one opinion, so feel free to let me know if you disagree or have anything to add (also another GREAT way to comment **HINT**HINT).

/Users/marinamossaad/Desktop/Screen shot 2011-10-01 at 6.13.30 PM.png
p.s. that's still pretty sick

WAIT! Why didn't any of my pictures show up?? They look like urls..... :( :( :(

Yes! I approve of this reference!

I looked for resources regarding this magnificent beast and the amygdala, but could not find any. You may have more luck searching for articles on the differences in the amygdalae of predatory animals vs. animals who are mostly prey. This seems relevant: Amygdala Regulates Risk of Predation in Rats Foraging in a Dynamic Fear Environment.

I wonder what the honey badger's memory formation is like?

Were you using the upload picture tool in dashboard?

SHow me what you did in class if we have time

Ha! Love the Honey badger story. The badger is on of natures most awesomely fearsome creatures. Badgers that live in MN have been reported to be tough enough to take down a Moose when hungry.

First time I heard of people referred to as soft squishy bags of free meat. Thank god we are smart enough to build weapons!