I Don't Know; Google It

Vote 1 Vote

(make up for October 20th discussion section)

googlememory.jpg

The dynamics and workings of memory storage are endlessly fascinating. Every time I think of it, I always find myself inevitably drawn to the same place: what implications does memory modification--or maybe just the modification of how we remember--hold for evolution?

I was intrigued by the concept of elaborate encoding as introduced by the article on the woman who can't forget. She was so engaged with the particulars--the whats--involved with her memories that the memories themselves were bolstered. A modern and ever-growing concern is the effect of technology on memory. Search engines are of particular interest, and I've run across a number or articles pursuing the same questions. Our memories seem to be shifting from the whats to the wheres of information. What are we to make of this collective external memory of the internet? What does this mean for elaborate encoding?

I've read about the woman who can't forget! It's a fascinating story.
I think that as a collective, our memories are evolving through technology. But that same technology is also causing each of our memories to devolve. We are very dependent on technology that we are losing our abilities to accomplish things on our own.