strength of oxytocin

When reading chapter 3 from the text book I was really interested in the hormone oxytocin. This hormone is responsible for emotional bonds and creates trust between people. It also plays a role in maternal and romantic love. That got me thinking about the amount of killings (suicides) that are between dating couples. I watch this show called snapped where women go crazy over the men they are dating. One women in fact killed her own mother in order to live happily ever after with her boyfriend. In addition to the show my fathers bestfriend attempted to kill his girlfriend because she no longer wanted to be with him. He shot her in the head and then shot himself killing himself but his girlfriend lived. I started to wonder what s the correlation between the amount oxytocin realsed women and the crazy choices women make on the show.
So i begin to search for some sort of evidence that proves the amount of oxytocin released can be vital to such killings. I did not fnd anything that said boldly there is a connection but i did read this article that suggest to me it can be some correlation. The article mentions that In people, plasma concentrations of oxytocin have been reported to be higher amongst people who claim to be falling in love. The article noting the more oxytocin contributes to people being in love to me has a lot to do with why they would feel the need to do crazy things in order to be with that person.
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2008/about-oxytocin/all/1/

I wonder what causes more oxytocin to be released in certain people than in others. Why do some people act crazy when they're in love, but most don't?

Oxytocin is generally thought of as a bonding hormone. It floods women's brains after childbirth and during nursing to solidify the maternal bond to baby.

Its also present after sex which helps couples fall in love and want to stay together.

People who are better at empathy and understanding others feelings likely have higher concentrations of oxytocin during social interactions.

But it also has a dark side, in some studies creating greater feelings of ethnocentricism.
I think the crazy things people do out of passion is related to several brain areas and chemicals than just oxytocin. Passion is arousal after all and arousal can turn into many things if not managaged well.

OK Just left a comment but don't see it. Check in with me tomorrow Sharaya and lets see if we can figure out where it went.

In the meantime, you can check out a blog post I wrote this summer on my Relationships and Health blog about oxytocin here

http://www.relationshipsandhealth.com/1/post/2011/05/oxytocin.html