Taking a Trip down Memory Lane

Vote 1 Vote

A "memory" is defined as the retention of information over time, but how is it that some memories change while others do not? While reading chapter seven on the inner workings of memory and our abilities to retain such information, I was intrigued by the different scenarios in which our so-called memories fool us and re-route our recollections from what actually occurred during a particular event to something completely different. Specifically the concept of transience, that memories change and fade with time, much like a street changes with construction or looks different when we are re-visiting our old neighborhood.
memory lane.jpg
It made me think back to when I was younger living in a different state and different neighborhood. If I were to revisit my old street again, how different would it look? And what about those old memories...just how different would they be now as compared to the originals?

What memories are you thinking of that don't change Courtney?

I would guess that although some memories seem quite vivid and clear when we recall them, it is likely that they change in subtle and measurable ways each time you recall them.