The Sky Is The Limit!

wakeboarder.jpg

It was interesting to read about how the amygdala plays such a large role in your response to fear. It is amazing how disconnecting the amygdala in an animal can make it fearless to its predators.
In my free time, I enjoy wakeboarding in the summer. When trying new tricks I am often afraid of falling and injuring myself. The hardest part of progressing in the sport is having the right mental focus and being able to block out fear. I feel if I could control my brains response from my amygdala or if it was damaged, I would be able to progress rapidly with new tricks. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually professional athletes in extreme sports started searching for treatments to alter their amygdala in order to diminish their fear. Drugs could be developed to block these receptors and create the fearless athlete. Most likely, this would be too harmful for the athlete and would never be approved by any doctor.

Check this article out about how extreme athletes have an extreme taste for risk! http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0709_040709_sciencerisk.html

By: Mike Warecki & Derek Liebhauser

I do think this is super interesting. And at the same time i am very surprised that especially if researchers have tested disconnecting the Amygdala in animals that people haven't tried it as well. Or at least tried to come up with some sort of drug that inhibits the effects of the amygdala.