What if today was just another re-run?

50FirstDates.jpgEver since I watched 50 First Dates for the first time I have become very interested in memory loss. From studying memory in the past week I have learned a lot about the different types of memories. Drew Barrymore's character in 50 First Dates, for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, damages her brain in a car crash and can only remember one day at a time after the accident. Her long term memory is still in tact as she remembers her life before the accident as we remember yesterday.
This form of amnesia, where every night her memory of that day vanishes, is not very probable in the real world. The main character in 50 First Dates suffers from a very Hollywood version of Anterograde Amnesia. Although she can clearly remember her past before the accident, she can not hold any new memories and therefore lives in the same moment over and over again.
Even though amnesia cases in the movies tends to be very unrealistic, I can really get an understanding of how life must be for a sufferer of memory loss and I am grateful that my mind is still in tact. Hopefully psychologists in the future will learn how to better treat amnesia, but I wonder what it would be like to live only one moment for the rest of my life?

I've always wondered, what if you were very angry at someone, such as a spouse, right before you had the "accident" to cause memory loss? Would you be angry at that person and in a bad mood the rest of your life, over and over again?

There was an fairly accurate portrayal of anterograde amnesia in this movie. Do you remember the brief scene with a male a male patient who could not store any new information in LTM?

For a thrilling full length depiction of anterograde amnesia check out Chris Nolan's first film Momento.