A Woman's Greatest Asset is Her Beauty

The effects of tv and other media sources on the body image is something that has always intrigued me. I work at a salon and spa and see day in and out how extensive and how much people spend on what some would think are superficially cosmetic items. There are many things people think of when they consider cosmetic items from botox, to shampoo all they way to makeup and something as so simple as a hairbrush.

"Siren Magazine called "Why Vanity Keeps Us Poor." In it, the writer talks about how the cosmetic and toiletries industry is, worldwide, a $45 to $66 billion dollar business and that American women spend an average of $12,000 annually on beauty products and grooming"

fdkdfgjk.jpg

This is crazy to me but i see it day in and out. I will even admit especially now working in an industry where beauty regiments are readily available i take advantage of the them, but one disadvantage is the cost. I definitely think that tv and media outlets are in part to blame for putting the motto out there that beauty is everything and can get you anywhere. We watch people on tv day in and out and begin to think that is the norm. But when you walk down the street does everyone have flawless skin, or perfectly colored hair the answer is NO NO NO!

My Favorite Artices:
1)Listicks, eye shadow, mascara... Worthy stuff! -----> Like i said previously this is a subject that really interests me, but i like how this person showed a picture of a so called person of beauty and what they really look like with out expensive make up.
2)Why So Similar?------> This article caught my eye because i fist learned about this subject was in an 11th grade sociology class and when my teacher told us to look around and someday these people are the most likely candidates for a significant other because of proximity. I think that is so interesting because i look around and am like how i have known these people for ever thats weird but i really think that is true now.
3)Does your significant other look like he/she could be your sibling? ----> I really liked this one because with finding people similar to you a person is looking for that on the inside and out. I just thought this was funny because my sister and her boyfriend look a lot a like and people always ask them if he is our brother.

I agree that the media affects people’s body image. Models make you think you are fat. They emphasize that people need to be thin and the conception that thin is only acceptable body type.

Wow, I figured the beauty industry was large but when you look at how much each woman on average invests annually, it makes it seems as if our lives depend on being perceived to being attractive. Just shows how much we value beauty as a society.

Interesting article in today's NY Times about Estée Lauder, the daughter of Eastern European immigrants, selling homemade beauty creams at a few New York City hair salons in the 1940s and built her product line into a multibillion-dollar global empire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/business/estee-lauder-heirs-tax-strategies-typify-advantages-for-wealthy.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

The media has such a powerful influence on the "beauty myth" because the products are so frequently advertised on TV and the actors in the shows you watch are often heavily made up and stylized with the same products!