Are you lying?

pinocchio[1].jpg

Are lie-detection techniques accurate? Most polygraph tests uses Pinochhio response to determine lies. Pinochhio response, according to our textbook, is a perfect physiological or behaviroal indicator of lying. When people lie, their bodily reactions are the indicators of whether they are telling the truth. Most modern polygraph test measures anxiety, blood pressure, respiration and skin conductance(such as palm seating). Controlled Question Test is also used during most polygraph tests, relevant questions, irrelevant questions and control questions are commonly used.
However, are accurate are the tests? According to Truth or Lie Polygraph Examination Agency, polygraph tests are only accurate 87.5% of the times. Other critics think the accuracy rate is even lower(only 70%), about 7 out of 10 examinations are accurate.
Next time when you watch CSI or Lie To Me, pay attention to the suspect's Pinochhio response!

http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk3/1983/8320/832005.PDF
http://www.truthorlie.com/accurate.html

My favorite post was Falling Asleep on the road because a few years ago, a friend of mine from high school was killed by a driver who had Narcolepsy, so this post touched me a lot. We wouldn't want to be on the same road with a narcoleptic.

My next favorite was "Hi! My name is.. (what?) My name is.. (who?) My name is.." because it's always been obvious to me that names are harder to remember than faces, but I didn't know it was related to the semantics part of our hippocampus until reading her post.

My third favorite was The Memory of Smells because I think smell is really sentimental, I remember the smell of pineapples although I haven't had any pineapples in almost 2 years.