Born Without Emotions?

(Makeup for missed discussion on October 27th)

After recently watching through the first three seasons of the hit Showtime series Dexter, I began to think about how his emotions can be viewed in psychology.

Dexter Morgan, the main character in the show, works in forensics for the Miami Metro Police Department and specializes in blood analysis. He is extremely proficient at his job, but he holds a very dark secret; he is a serial killer. Ever since he was a little boy, Dexter had urges to kill. His Dad began to notice this and he decided to train Dexter to kill only other killers that are dangerous and could do the deed again. After his dad dies, no one else knows of Dexter's secret as he is very good at what he does. As the show progresses it is clear that Dexter has little emotional attachment to any thing in his life. How can this be? Why would someone not experience the emotions that any normal human would?

After doing some research, it is clear that Dexter is a psychopath. Psychopathy is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are also known to have a low tolerance for boredom and a need for excitement. These are both characteristics that Dexter displays throughout the show.

How does someone become a psychopath? There are a number of reasons. Genetics and traumatic childhood experiences are both causes could have influenced Dexter. He witnessed his mother's murder as a toddler which could have led to his disorder. He also discovered that he has a serial killer brother. This shows how genetics can play a role.

Dexter is an incredible show that should definitely be checked out by anyone who is interested in Psychology, or just wants an entertaining series to start watching!dexter-pfwa.jpeg

You know, it's crazy to think but I bet this type of thing happens more than we realize. Maybe not so much the serial killing, but having no emotions. I know for myself, I could never go a day without my emotions for they truly play into who I am as a person and how I behave on a day-to-day basis. Thanks for blogging about this interesting topic!!

Although, I have not watched the show, the blog post is very interesting. This is a good example of nature vs nurture. I wonder if Psychopaths such as Dexter are brought up in a negative environment or encountered a traumatic circumstances growing up. I think its interesting that different people have different levels of emotion. For example, I know people who cried during the Disney movie Up. On the other end of the spectrum, there are individuals such as psychopaths who show as much emotion as a rock. I wonder if certain parts of the brain contributes to emotion or the lack there of. This article discusses the role of the different parts of the cortex on the amygdala- one of the emotional centers in the brain. Check it out. It might be worth your while if your interested in psychopathy.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/52415.php

Although, I have not watched the show, the blog post is very interesting. This is a good example of nature vs nurture. I wonder if Psychopaths such as Dexter are brought up in a negative environment or encountered a traumatic circumstances growing up. I think its interesting that different people have different levels of emotion. For example, I know people who cried during the Disney movie Up. On the other end of the spectrum, there are individuals such as psychopaths who show as much emotion as a rock. I wonder if certain parts of the brain contributes to emotion or the lack there of. This article discusses the role of the different parts of the cortex on the amygdala- one of the emotional centers in the brain. Check it out. It might be worth your while if your interested in psychopathy. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/52415.php