Jacob Say WHAT?

taylor.jpg

In the fourth book of Stephanie Meyer's world famous book series Twilight, the character Jacob--a hunky boy who turns wolf when he's angry-- imprints on the daughter of his best friend and almost lover, Bella Swan. In the 1930s, a similar real-life thing happened to scietist Konrad Lorenz while he was studying geese. He accidentally allowed the newly-hatched goslings to imprint on him--they began to follow him everywhere. His Nobel Prize winning work allowed us to understand that goslings become attached to the first big object/person they see. I guess I just never realized before now that this kind of stuff actually happens in real life. It made for an excellent read--I'll tell ya that!
Lorenz_Geese.jpg

My favorite post was huss0182's in writing #2 because I appreciated how he used the scientific principles to explain how paranormal activity is a pseudoscience. I also really like the use of a video--it really got me interested. The topic in itself was also very interesting. I saw the movie "Paranormal Activity 1" recently and thought it truly scary at the time but completely ureplicable and unfalsifiable.

My next favorite was sunxx592's in writing #1 due to the very catchy title--it was an Ernest Hemingway quote which I happen to be familiar with. The content written about--Nature vs Nurture was very well explained and they asked some very good questions to ponder about as I went throughout my day.

My third favorite was corr0147's in writing #3 because of the very attractive title of "A Voice With No Words." I was immediately drawn to this and the content of the blog continued to hold my attention throughtout as well. The question posed at the end of the blog was also very thoughtful.

This is an interesting connection you make with Stephanie Meyer's idea of imprinting as a kind of unbreakable love or connection between people (or should I say, werewolves and people) and Konrad Lorenz's idea of imprinting.

The one difference you should keep in mind is that with the Lorenz work, the baby chicks imprinted on Lorenz or any other creature, I have seen a dog become the imprint object, right when they are born. It seems necessary that imprinting take place during a critical window right after birth so the chicks can identify and stay close to their mother, or other designated protector.

In the Twilight books, I believe this kind of imprinting happens more randomly and Meyer uses the term in the spirit of Lorenz but much more liberally. She is attempting to capture that kind of biochemical or genetic type of attraction that may go deeper than consciousness can control.

Perhaps a smart way of describing this "animal attraction" that is fascinating young women everywhere between an immortal mythical creature and a human.