Our best/worst times only last a brief moment

Vote 1 Vote

Something interesting that I learned was in chapter 11 about durability bias. Durability bias is the belief that our good and bad moods will last longer than they do. I found this to be interesting because I often underestimate how rapidly I will adjust to my baseline level of happiness and unhappiness. Every time I have failed a test or receive a bad grade I feel horrible. I start to think that things cannot get no better but this feeling only last a couple days. However, I do contest this idea of durability bias in some situation. For example the condition of depression, this takes an enormous toll on our tendency of mood. Depression in general is seen as an acute problem for those who have not experienced it. It is looked on as a phase in life. Nevertheless true depression is far more complex than that as described on the website http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001941/. It is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for months or longer.

I liked warec014 blog because that too interest me when reading that in chapter 10, plus she included a picture to capture my attention. I had no idea that the human brain begin to develop after only 18 days of fertilization. This was even more shocking because the book noted that many women do not know they are pregnant in the early stages of pregnancy.
I also like sunxx592 blog because many people tell me that I and my boyfriend look alike. I do not think so at all, but may be the more you are seen together people start to think you look like your significant other.
Lastly I like cenxx009 blog about personal space. I am a person who has a pet peeve of someone being in my personal bubble. I could not imagine being in a country where being close when having a conversation is seen as respect.

Sharaya, you might find it helpful to write about your unhappy experiences such as failing a test. Research has shown that writing can help make sense of bad experiences and reduce the rumination that comes with dwelling on our failures too much.

It is also known that writing can reduce the durability of positive experiences as well.

So if you want the positive aspects of your life to be more on your mind than the negative, happiness researchers suggest you should savor the good moments. Take the time to enjoy a bird singing, the taste of a great cup of coffee, the smell of freshly baked cookies.

Turn these images over and over in your mind and make them new again each time you revisit them. It will keep you from being overly self-critical and boost your happiness.