The Anatomy of a Lie

Vote 1 Vote

Imagine this scenario in the not so distant future: A suspect in a murder investigation has been been detained by police in order to be interrogated. However, instead of being questioned by seasoned homicide detectives, the suspect is put into an MRI machine and has his brain waves fingerprinted. After being questioned about the crime, his brain waves are analyzed and he is determined to be lying.index.jpeg

This might sound like science fiction, but it's actually a technique that is being developed to create more effective lie detection methods. Using a brain scanning technology called fMRI (or functional magnetic resonance imaging) researchers have found ways of mapping brain waves (called brain fingerprinting) that potentially indicate if someone is lying. The technique is still being developed, but as this article shows, brain scan lie detection has already become a topic of courtroom controversy in the US.

My favorite post was: "Grand Theft Auto - Training kid killers" because the question of violence in video games will be always be a controversial topic and as games become ever more realistic our social relationship to simulated violence should be viewed with a critical eye.
My next favorite post was: "Does Capitalism really work?" because I've always been interested in what really motivates people to preform better.
My third favorite was: "Why people don't like to touched by strangers" because its I think its interesting how people will go to great lengths to avoid touching strangers even when they are in very tight quarters (like a subway car)

This is SO INTERESTING! It still boggles me that we have the technology to do things like this. Hopefully this will lead to less crime in the future. Thanks for blogging about this!

As promising as some of the new fMRI research is at beginning to detect when people are processing and attempting to control emotions as well as deal with cognitive load, neuroscience is still quite a long way off from having a reliable lie detector that can be applied in the field.

Most studies that have been done use willing and cooperative participants under highly controlled lab environments.

The problem is that deception takes place within the context of complex social
interactions. It is a huge challenge and perhaps unreasonable to expect to discover so a simple biological marker of deception in the brain.

Still, when new technology like this is combined with a skilled investigator, the ability to detect deception is likely to improve.