This Stuff Actually Exists??

Vote 1 Vote

(make up for missing discussion on 11/17)

Everyone has seen a movie where a psychologist is holding a mysterious picture and then asks their client, who is lying on a sofa, what they see in the picture. I never would have guessed that these mysterious pictures are actually a type of projective test that psychologists sometimes use! This projective test is known as the Rorschach Inkblot test, in which examiners ask respondents to look at inkblots and say what it resembles. Examiners then score their answers for numerous characteristics that are supposedly associated with personality traits.

Although the Rorschach has been used quite often for the past decades, it is scientifically controversial. Little evidence has been found that the Rorschach validly detects the features of mental disorders or predicts criminal traits or behaviors. It is rare when two examiners give a respondent the same scores for their response to the inkblots, showing that the Rorschach may not be valid. However, the Rorschach has been successful in predicting schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and a few other conditions marked by abnormal thinking. The Rorschach has its positives and negatives, but it is hard to tell whether it truly is a reliable source.

rorschach inkblot.jpg

Leex5571, this is a wonderful topic to blog about! I'm similar to your way of thinking in that I didn't realize that the Rorschach test was used in real life--let alone it had a name such as Rorschach inkblot test! I still don't understand how they score these tests though. What I have always imagined is that if individuals saw something that would lead a scientist to think that they had a bipolar disorder or schizonphrenia as you mentioned in your blog, then that person would score a certain way. But what exactly would a diagnosed schizophrenic really see in an inkblot such as that. Fortunately, I don't think I will know. Thanks for blogging about his topic!