Truth and Lies: Will we ever know the difference?

Vote 1 Vote

I have always wondered how "lie detectors" work. How is it possible that a machine can know whether or not what I am saying is true, and more so, how can it be proven? While reading chapter 11, I learned that these so called "lie detectors" are truly not proven to be completely accurate. In fact, the most common, the Polygraph test, simply measures when the receiver is aroused. These two are not always connected, and furthermore, there are many ways to fool the machine.

It appears to me that there is no way to be completely sure whether someone is lying or speaking the truth. While there are physical mannerisms and brain waves that can signal arousal, there is nothing that can directly detect lying. Lying vs. the truth is one of the biggest mysteries out there, because with what we know now, there is no way for it to be certainly proven. Will this mystery ever be solved?

Favorite Blogs:
1. Can Money Buy Happiness? by bauer511. I really liked how they used a real experiment to describe what they were talking about. The concept of "buying happiness" is very intriguing.
2. lipsticks, eye shadow, mascara...worthy stuff? by araxx003. I liked the image they chose of the same woman, one image with make up and one without. It is eye-opening to the point that women these days can and do transform themselves to appear attractive, and also to help their confidence. Is this a healthy way to live?
3. Are you my mother? malon271. I enjoyed this post because this topic interested me while I was reading the textbook. It is so mind-boggling how a goose could really believe a person is its mother.

I personally think there is no actual way of telling if someone is lying or not even with a so called "lie detector test". Those machines can be faulty or not calibrated correctly therefore causing for mistakes in determining truths vs. lies.

So many people have blogged about lying for this assignment and perhaps it simply comes down to your point Rachel that knowing the difference between what is true and what is false is a huge mystery.

It might also be why so many people are interested in psychology. Not only do we want to know more about how our own brain works and creates thoughts, feelings and behaviors, but we would all love to better understand those processes in others.

I am with you in doubting that a truly reliable lie detection machine can be built.

The problem seems to be that deception takes place within the context of complex social interactions. It is a huge challenge and perhaps unreasonable to expect to measure various biological markers and correlate that with lying.