What is Love?

An age old question, What is Love? Many have sought after the answer to this age old question and yet it still remains one of life's great mysteries. Upon reading the section on the types of love in chapter 11 it stood out to me that Sternberg's triangular theory of love was the most accurate in my opinion. What makes love so hard to classify is that it takes on many different forms depending on who it is directed towards and where a person is at in their lives. We all have our own specific needs whether they be intimacy, passion, commitment or some combination of the three. In my opinion love is initiated by passion and intimacy. In general the desire to be close to someone and share ones secrets and desires is what prompts most to seek out "love". As we put ourselves out there and find that we can trust the other the commitment to the relationship takes effect. We don't want to let the other person down so we are going to be there time and again for them like they are there for us. Regardless of what love means to you I think that what makes it so special is that it is a great risk. The vulnerability factor is what makes love so painful and rewarding at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEQz7NYSLg