defense and anxiety

I thought it was interesting to learn about anxiety and defense mechanisms. I never know that a defense mechanism is supposed to help reduce anxiety. In my normal day life I tend to have a little more anxiety then maybe the normal person and I do get defensive on occasion but I never would have thought to put the two together. I think that it is fascinating that while most people would say that defense mechanisms are not always the best thing to have because it puts a "wall" between you and another person Freud states that it is actually crucial to good mental health. However, he (Freud) believes that only using one or two of the 10 defense mechanism (repression, denial, regression, reaction formation, projection, displacement, rationalization, intellectualization, identification with the aggressor and sublimation) isn't healthy either--> you need to use different defense mechanisms for different situations.