Mass Hysteria

Vote 1 Vote

Mass Hysteria, or a situation in which various people all suffer from similar hysterical symptoms, is something that is really interesting. Its something that I think fascinates many people, but they don't really have any personal experiences dealing with this. I knew the general idea of what it was, but it wasn't until reading this section of the book that I really understood what it was and became even more fascinated. After reading, I looked up some famous/ well known situations involving mass hysteria. Some of them were:
- The June Bug Epidemic- mysterious illness caused by a bug in a factory led to over 60 people becoming infected

-Soap Opera Hysteria- A portuguese soap opera led to 300 students becoming infected with the same symptoms a character on the show developed.

Its crazy to think that these events can actually occur. Here's An interesting video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbF0G-md8Es&feature=related

I always thought that things like this were so crazy! It makes a person wonder what kind of things you could plant in people's heads and try to coerce them into thinking it's real. Maybe we could tell people that meatballs will fall from the sky at such-and-such a time on a significant day. Hopefully they wouldn't believe us.

It's all a joke until all local and cable news networks announce that Google has decided to charge "Gmail" users $25.00/mo for their email usage to help care for children in Afghanistan and Facebook will no longer accept people and delete all accounts that are not verified Harvard students, saying that they want to go "back to their roots".

See how it easy that was? now check your heart rate lol... We all know that the statements above are extremely ludicrous, but if so, why are you having a adverse emotion/reaction at this moment? Well that's the precursor. You get a bunch of people feeling adversely emotional towards anything and it's easy to get people to believe that "meatballs will fall from the sky at such-and-such a time on a significant day" and pump them into Mass

See how it easy that was? now check your heart rate lol... We all know that the statements above are extremely ludicrous, but if so, why are you having a adverse emotion/reaction at this moment? Well that's the precursor. You get a bunch of people feeling adversely emotional towards anything and it's easy to get people to believe that "meatballs will fall from the sky at such-and-such a time on a significant day" and pump them into Mass Hysteria.

One of my favorite examples of mass hysteria was the Tanganyika laughter epidemic in the year I was born.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanganyika_laughter_epidemic

Oh wow I never heard of the Tanganyika laughter epidemic. Thats like Mass Hysteria on steroids. How could that continue on for 18 months with well over a thousand people still laughing? Too funny lol. Even to the point schools had to shut down wow. I wouldn't believe it unless it was documented. Great story thanks for sharing.

If this was Facebook, I would like your comment Stock427. Haha