Nature Vs. Nurture

After reading the blog based off of nautre/nuture a strong question arised. How much blame do a childs parents really deserve, are their parents to blame? Where does the line stop? And what do we constitue it as, nature or nurture? This is always a conversation that will bring debate into full swing within a group of people. Whether its through nature or nuture your parents have had influence throughout your life. When reviewing this concept my thoughts constantly went to a story of nuture, or possibly nature, from my sisters childhood. We were sitting in the line at target and my sister around 5 at the time, Madison, continued to ask my mom if she could get this candy and that lipgloss and that pack of gum, my mom tended to be a push over in my younger years and let her continue to dish stuff on the belt which eventually led to the cashier and into the bag. The young boy behind us, approximately my sister's age, saw her greedy intentions and proceeded to ask his mom the same questions, of course replacing lipgloss with matchbox cars, but his mom being more strong willed than mine did not let him put a single item into their cart explaining that he already had gotten enough treats and toys for the day.parents discipline.jpg Growing up, in my family, the word no was never very strong and has led me to reality shocks throughout my high school and short college career. I would imagine that the young boy who was told no about 10 years ago, has had less of a culture shock during his years of maturity. I found an article reviewing the possibilities of spending habits being passed down from their parents to their kids. It brings up essential points in the argument of nature vs/ nurture showing the impact of a parents habits on their children. So this leads us back to the question, is my childhood of push-over, unconscious money spending parents to blame for my culture shock in my years of maturity or was this simply always bound to happen because of the nature of my mind?

I also sometimes wonder whether the parents are to blame for many actions in children's later lives. In my opinion, a lot of how people our age act now is based on their nurture and how they grew up. For instance, when I was in middle school, I grew up with two siblings that were around 4 and 6. I constantly had to do my homework with noise around me because that's the environment I lived in. As I got older I got better at doing homework in noisy places. It definitely wasn't something that happened by nature because when I first starting receiving a lot of homework, I couldn't concentrate at home and did not get the grades I wanted to. As I grew older I became accustomed to the noise and because of nurture, I can now do my homework with noise in the background. I think your unconscious money spending is a mix of both nature and nurture. For me at least, I love to buy things and always have. Your parents not saying no a lot probably contributed to it though.

Good blog post. The one thing that keeps coming up for me throughout this Nature vs. Nurture debate is that of free-will. Every single thing you do or not do in your life is the direct result of a choice you've made. Even when other factors come into play, and unforeseen circumstances call for a change of plans, you still decide how to change them.
I would call this basic ability to choose a part of Nature, while I understand that factors (namely from parents/guardians) can have huge impacts on this, e.g. instilling self-control, self-discipline, and a strong moral foundation for your child, vs. "teaching" (rather leading by example) poor judgement, lack of self-control/discipline, and rather "going with the wind" and allowing for self-destructive behavior to penetrate one's life.
What was brought up in class, however, was the idea that "nothing we do is really a choice, but rather a result of the infinite influences we experience every day." This may make sense, at first, but I've found it to be self-contradictory, i.e. logically, it makes no sense. If everything we do is a direct result of 'some other influence' instead of our own choice (free-will) we would then be acting upon others' choices and free-will, thus creating a web of action-reaction phenomena. For example, one might say that the reason I slept in today instead of getting up early is not because I 'chose' to do it, but rather, I was influenced to do so by the infinite number of forces acted upon me every day. However, these 'forces' or influences include my own decision to stay up late last night, which was a result of my friend's decision to come stay over, which was a result of her roommate's decision to go home for the weekend- leaving my friend alone, which may have been the result of her parent's decision to throw a party and invite their daughter home for the weekend, so on and so forth. Although there is evidence that someone else's actions influence mine own, there is no evidence that they determine my actions nor my decisions. The fact that our actions are results of other peoples' actions (and choices) does not prove the nonexistence of free-will, rather it makes a claim to the existence of a "unique playing field" on which we all choose to conduct our lives. (Becher, 2008) Everyone has free-will, but no two people have the same free-will, due to the external influences they experience day-to-day.