Point Break

A very close cousin of mine recently committed suicide, he was 19 years old. This unexpected event in my life prompted me to take action and to learn more about teen suicide in the United States. I wanted to know why such things happen and if their are signs that would prompt others to help the victim in need? A life is a very delicate thing and matters like this should be taken very seriously.

Every year in the United States, thousands of people ages 15-24 commit suicide. It is the third leading cause of death for that age group. Growing up can be very stressful at times, it can be confusing, doubtful, and scary. Parents divorce and many times kids are forced to live in new communities that they are not accustomed with. Kids sometimes feel that suicide is the only way to solve these problems. Depression and suicidal feelings are treatable mental disorders if they are caught before it is too late. Some warning signs of suicide are:

change in eating and sleeping habits
withdrawal from friends and family
drug and alcohol abuse
noticeable personality change
decline in quality of school work
complaints of being a bad or rotten person
vebal hints such as: "I won't be a problem much longer or it's no use"
giving away personal possessions
having signs of psychosis

Suicide is a preventable occurrence. Treatment often involves a combination of drug based treatment such as taking imipramine or fluoxetine which are antidepressants and "talking based" therapy like cognitive therapy. Cognitive therapy involves modifying self destructive and irrational thought processes. It helps consider alternative actions when thoughts of self harm arise.

Suicide is a very serious but preventable action. If you know someone who has thought about it or has shown signs of suicide, please get them help immediately. Because you only have one life and when it's gone, it's gone.

1 TrackBack

Point Break - Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012 Read More

I can empathize a bit to this situation. There was a suicide at my high school 2 years ago and the results are devastating. It is often difficult to see the symptoms before it's too late.. no one had any idea in this case. It is extremely serious and prevalent these days and is terrible when over-looked. The best thing to do is follow the message of this blog and educate those around us.

I know someone who committed suicide because he couldn't be an achiever as his father wanted him to be. He grew up in a house with three siblings and clearly no one could find out before. It was really sad. People say that those who commit suicide are cowards because of their fear to face lives but I always wonder how they get the courage to take out their own lives! Kids should be educated about the value of their life using examples of other kids who died of a disease or accident. A positive attitude towards life must be cultivated at a very early age.

Sorry to hear this news Joseph. Its true that young people under stress don't always see all their options and unfortunately contemplate ending their life.

This is particularly sad when it turns out that many of the issues that bring people to such a low point can be effectively dealt with through therapy, exercise, medication and change in situation.

Near the end of the semester we will be discussion depression more in detail and as well as some of the best treatment options. Perhaps you will want to address this subject again after you learn more.