The other world

Dreaming is an extremely complex and interesting topic that is extremely unique, and is hard to believe that it happens every night even though some may not ever recall their dreams. Yes, dreaming happens every night and during dreaming we slip out of consciousness and into the our other world. Dreams can be about anything, but are usually about things that happened that day, things you maybe thought about a lot, issues, and or fantasies. When we think about our dreams, are they a reflection of what we really feel?

Lucid dreaming is when we realize we are dreaming in our dream. This is usually pretty rare among the general population however some people do it nightly through either training or just chance. There are ways to train yourself to lucid dream and there are people who are professionals at being able to lucid dream. Can humans actually control their dreams though? Do they ever gain complete control? Do animals dream like we do? Could future events be predicted through our dreams? Does anybody ever have reoccurring dreams? I don't.

lucid-dream-flying.jpg

I have never experienced lucid dreaming. However, occasionally, if I start to dream about something scary or uncomfortable, I realize it. I don't wake up, but I become conscious enough to stop dreaming or change the outcome of my dream. I don't think that that constitutes lucid dreaming though.

I have had reoccurring dreams where I dream about the exact same thing multiple nights. I don't have them regularly and usually I don't dream the same dream more than two or three times.

I do not think that future events can be predicted through dreams. There may be times when people dream about future events, but you can never now if they will happen until they happen.

I remember in middle school my science teacher was talking about dreams. He was mentioning about how the brain works. One thing that he said that I will never forget it that at one given moment, like a second or so, 60,000 thoughts are being pushed into our brain and we normally only fixate on one of them. Sixty thousand seems like way too much for a brain to handel. But then he asked the class, "What happens to all the other thought, where do they go?" His theory on all of this is that they appear in our dreams. I do not know if there is any scientific evidence for this or research done, but it seems to be a valid point. This could also explain why dreams are so crazy sometimes. Somethimes you wake up and you can't believe you had a dream about what you did. I'd like to think that this hypothesis is correct. If there so many thoughts "floating" around in our heads how is it that only a certain one is chosen to think about? And what you do presume happens to all the other thoughts?

It is interesting that you arise the question of whether or not the story or thoughts of our dreams are really what you feel. What came to mind is the saying "a drunk mind speaks a sober heart." How can you really even know if this is true? And would we be able to ever figure this out about our dreams. When I think back to dreams that I have had recently mixed emotions run through my mind. Yes, some of them are relatable to my life and have some sort of meaning towards my feeling, but then there are the ones that have no sense of direction as to why I could have possibly created this in my mind. If you think back to the saying I had mentioned before, the concept is very similar. Most of the time, in both situations the things that are happening in your mind are not going on during a conscious state. So therefore, if you want to say you are feeling these things without direct knowledge, that may be how you can describe them. I feel as if though there really is no way for you to find out if our dreams really are how we feel in our everyday lives.

Dreams are very fascinating to me as well. Because we over-analyze dreams due to psychics and other "supernatural" beings telling us to, our dreams seem to reflect how we feel because we want them to. It's almost like we are forced to think our dreams are reflective of our feelings because we search for answers in our life to relate them to. I feel like humans can control their dreams partly, not necessarily what they are about but when you are lucid dreaming (which I have before), I can change the outcome of my dream so it always ends how I want it to. I think this is an interesting topic because it's almost like part of us is awake controlling how we want the dream to pan out.

I was on Stumble Upon a lot my freshman year, and I came across this link with different strategies on how to train yourself to be able to lucid dream.

http://www.luciddreamguru.com/

I started to train myself via the DILD (Dream Induced Lucid Dreaming) method. I didn't stick with it long enough to be able to lucid dream, but I did notice I was remembering my dreams more often shortly after I started training myself. I'm honestly not sure if there is a connection there or not. I usually don't remember my dreams, so I thought there was a connection, but I am not sure.

When I was younger, maybe 12 or 13, I could lucid dream. I would often go to bed thinking about some kind of fantasy or desire, I would end up dreaming about it and being in complete control. Somewhere along the way though, I lost this ability. I'm not sure why. Regardless, I do believe humans can control their dreams.

Animals may or may not dream in the same way we do. I used to observe my dog sleeping, and occasionally he would softly bark in his sleep. He was possibly dreaming of catching a rabbit. That may be evidence implying that animals do dream in one way or another.

I don't have recurring dreams anymore, but for a few years, maybe ages 7-10, I dreamt about playing kickball with dwarves. They often walked on the ceiling. It was very strange.

My brother used to always say he could control his dreams, and honestly I thought it was a bunch of nonsense. Like I have always thought dreams sending signs was nonsense. Now that i think about it though, I think people probably can somewhat control their dreams, especially since sometimes brain activity while sleeping is the same as while awake. I don't like thinking it is possible though, because how scary would it be to control your dream and end up like jumping off a cliff or being in a murder movie. I think I will stick with my constant reoccurring dream of failing my midterm. ( I have the same dream over and over just on different subjects whenever I have a test or assignment coming up)

When I was younger I used to have a reoccurring dream. It was more of a night terror and I was always being chased around. The events would happen in the same order and I would wake up at the same time of the dream every night and it would never finish. Through this the lucid dreaming started. Since I was so familiar with the dream and would remember it in the morning, I started to realize while I was dreaming that it was just a night terror. Soon after this I stopped having that dream. This may be to the fact that now I knew I was dreaming it. I think that everybody dreams differently according to their experiences, but whose to say that not all of us have reoccurring dreams and lucid dreaming? We may just not remember them.

I believe that animals dream but I guess it would be difficult to prove since dreaming is such a private experience. Nevertheless, there is no reason to believe that dreaming is unique to humans and it is probably a necessary function of the brain to dream while the conscious mind rests.

I think you can control your dreams to some extent, especially disturbing ones, by thinking about how you would end the dream in a more agreeable way. I find that daily events do trigger dreams but I am not the kind of person who has reoccuring dreams. Well, I do have similar dreams but they are always different situations. Yet reoccuring dreams are a fairly common phenomenon in others. I just think that dreams are the crazy way the unconscious mind works when the conscious controlling mind in shut down for the night.

I am not sure that dreams can predict the future but it seems possible that dreams can lead the conscious mind to insights that would be overlooked or not even considered during the cold light of day. Perhaps dreams are there to help us open up to possibilities, to face things we fear, to prepare for what is next.

I have a dream that I have had about 4 or 5 times this school year. It is always the exact same and I always seem to make it a little further in it each time it happens. I won't get into very much detail because parts of it are a little violent but essentially I am trying to escape for my life. I literally remember when I get to the part in the dream where I failed last time and I fix things or go about it in a different way that I think will work. I don't really know when or where or if ever I will get to the end of it but I have started to see this dream as almost a challenge. I at first was scared when this started happening but now I think it is quite unique and fun.