What are children missing out on while watching television?

When I think back to my childhood I realize, "Wow, I did watch a lot of television and movies." With all the new technology that has arrived since I've reached my teenage years, it seems as if we never did focus as much on electronics as younger kids do today. This is quite wrong though. As I think back to the different things I used to watch, and the way they affected me, I do really realize how television did change my childhood.
tumblr_l61mmzPI4p1qcgtvuo1_400.jpg

The most common and practical thing that television would take away is physical activity. This has obviously not changed for children at all and potentially has gotten even worse. Many theories of childhood obesity revolve around the use of technology such as television, video games, and the internet. A study done on this topic shows that their results were in fact showing that amount of time spent in front of television did change the body shape and size of children.

So we can ask the question, are children just missing out on health benefits? Or are there other things that will vary from child to child, with each adolescent missing out on something in life?