Being Young and a Leader

“If you’re under 30 and in a leadership role you’re in the wrong place!?
As I recently heard in class, “if you’re under 30 and in a leadership role you’re in the wrong place!? Out of spite I could make the inverse remark, “Unlike those over 30, I am the only one that still cares!? As was eluded in class, it’s not a particular person that devalues my age; it’s the system in place. Being young indicates I don’t have much experience. But in our education system when we get inexperienced staff or students with little prior knowledge our goal should be to bring them up to a desirable knowledge base? I might not be experienced, and might not have authority, but I do have energy to participate in the decision making process, why discourage that?

I don’t have the authority or background research articles (data) to make knowledgeable decisions that technology is being used properly. But in my immediate environment (what I see and hear), elementary skills like knowing that value of Ctrl + C or Apple + C ;-), what the “Ins? key does, how to find a file that I swear I saved on my computer, or plugging something into the appropriate outlet makes me somewhat of an innovator compared to others in authority. Why do I not have some authority on how to make decisions to help teachers integrate some technology into their teaching?

LT, Not the Center of the Universe

We’re not the center of education world? Are you joking?!?
We would be joking ourselves if we think the learning technologies field is the ONLY field that thinks their research (passion) is what leaders should really be listened to. Think about pushes for Literacy Coordinators, Early Childhood Intervention Programs, Professional Development groups, just to name a few! Everyone thinks their particular field will transform learning. “If we just did “X?, everyone would be learning!? Reserch shows we’re not being heard and when the LT field gets the opportunity to be heard, we can easily mess up.

As Dr. Drahier warned on Monday night, many schools are making macro type innovations compared to micro type innovations? The more macro innovations that are flops, Los Angeles reading program, Waterford Early Reading Program Evaluation the less likely others will value the use of integrating technology. Technology is underrepresented at administrative and superintendent positions. Largely, I have a passion for the field of Learning Technologies and don’t want to see my field loose credibility from those that buying lots and lots of tools where no one uses or are using them ineffectively. Further, unlike some of those in power, like Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), I can determine the difference between an e-mail and the Internet. I know what is fluff and what is solid.