Headlines: there is an art to writing a 4 word sentence.

As we discussed in class, headlines are pretty tough to write, especially with the limited space.
I wasn’t sure how difficult until we were assigned to write them. I mean they aren’t the trickiest things for me to write, but there is an art to them.

Continue reading "Headlines: there is an art to writing a 4 word sentence." »

Journalistic Ethics

On the SPJ website they stated the code of ethics they follow: Public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues. Conscientious journalists from all media and specialties strive to serve the public with thoroughness and honesty. Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility. The SPJ website also says Journalists should be honest, fair and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information.
Some ways to remain honest and fair would be to test the accuracy of sources, question people’s motives, don’t distort images, avoid misleading the audience, and never plagiarize.

Continue reading "Journalistic Ethics" »

Food Writing is absolutely delicious

I love how the leads for food stories says something that makes the reader’s mouth water. They are so different from regular reporting, much more relaxed and all about one topic: food.

Continue reading "Food Writing is absolutely delicious" »

Business Section

When looking for articles to read in the Business section of the New York Times, almost every story had to do with the economic crisis and everything related to it; such as the Dow dropping, financial safety, and the value of the American dollar.

Continue reading "Business Section" »

Opinion Columns

When looking at various paper’s opinion columns, the most popular topic, is of course, the election, and everything related to it. I looked at three different opinion columns dealing with the last presidential debate, each candidate’s policies, and the most popular topic, “Joe the Plumber.?

Continue reading "Opinion Columns" »

Different Photo Slide Shows

The New York Times did a photo slide show about Diane Paulus the director of the Public Theater’s revival of “Hair? in NYC. It started out with a picture of the director in a natural setting surrounded by flowers. The caption described her work very briefly. The rest of slides, excluding the last one, showed different scenes from different plays that Paulus has done. They also showed the actors in action with Paulus directing. The captions describe what’s going on in the scene and which characters the actors are playing. The last slide ended with a scene from her latest play “Hair.? The whole photo slide show was some of Paulus’ theater work, ending the slide show with her latest show she directed.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/08/17/theater/20080817_PAULUS_SLIDESHOW_index.html?scp=1&sq=photo%20slide%20shows%20Paulus&st=cse

Continue reading "Different Photo Slide Shows" »

Vice Presidential Debate

Thursday night was a very interesting and heated vice presidential debate, said was said to be one of the most watched VP debates. I wasn’t surprised by all the attention and anticipation leading up to the debates because is was sure to be good, especially with Palin’s rocky interview just days before with Katie Couric. Biden and Palin butted heads all through the debate, except when it came to gay marriage; it was the only point they both agreed on, both being against it. Although there was much coverage leading up to the debate, all the excitement and coverage kind of dwindled down after Thursday night. When I searched online for articles regarding the previous night debate, I found articles, however, the main focused headline was the economy. Rightfully so, however, it was even more difficult to find more coverage on the debate a couple days later. When searching for articles, I was surprised to find that when I searched on Google “Palin and Biden debate“, I got many links talking about Tina Fey on SNL playing Gov. Palin. I was surprised that half my results came up with debate satires. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing; are we really paying attention to the debates and the facts, or are we as a people more interested in SNL’s take on the debate.

Continue reading "Vice Presidential Debate" »

1st Presidential Debate

Did anyone notice that Sen. Obama addressed Sen. McCain as Jim, Bob, and another name which was not John, his actual name. That was just something I noticed that I thought was kind of rude and unprofessional on Obama’s part to mistake his opponents name on several different occasions.

It was unsure whether or not McCain would show up to the debate, but he did, and rightfully so since he owed it to the American people to talk about his view on our country’s issues and how he plans to address them as future President. That to me was much more important and advantageous event for McCain to attend, as opposed to staying in Washington.

Continue reading "1st Presidential Debate" »

Troubles on Wall Street

Continue reading "Troubles on Wall Street" »