« Troubles on Wall Street | Main | Vice Presidential Debate »

1st Presidential Debate

Did anyone notice that Sen. Obama addressed Sen. McCain as Jim, Bob, and another name which was not John, his actual name. That was just something I noticed that I thought was kind of rude and unprofessional on Obama’s part to mistake his opponents name on several different occasions.

It was unsure whether or not McCain would show up to the debate, but he did, and rightfully so since he owed it to the American people to talk about his view on our country’s issues and how he plans to address them as future President. That to me was much more important and advantageous event for McCain to attend, as opposed to staying in Washington.

Anyways, moving on to what was discussed and debated at the presidential debate.
The Wall Street Journal pointed out how the debate veered off from topic.
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122247204209780953.html?mod=article-outset-box)
Even though the debate was supposed to be devoted entirely to foreign policy and national security, the debate brought up issues such as the new economic crisis, taxing, and spending. However, they did talk a lot about national security and the war. McCain kept pointing out that he has much experience in combat as a Vietnam Vet and knows how to better handle the current war. He doesn’t want to pull out because he feels that we are winning. He also kept saying that Obama doesn’t know the difference between a strategy and a tactic. He says Obama is not well trained in how to handle military moves and is ill-equipped to handle the current state of the war. McCain took a stab at Obama stating, "There are some advantages to experience and knowledge and judgment, and I honestly don't believe that Sen. Obama has the knowledge and experience. I don't think I need any on-the-job training. I'm ready to go at it right now."
Obama struck back against his harsh comments saying, "John, you're absolutely right that presidents have to be prudent in what they say. But coming from you who in the past have threatened extinction for North Korea and sung songs about bombing Iran, I don't know how credible that is."

The New York Times emphasized how Obama continually compared McCain like Bush, and saying that we cannot afford to have a repeat of the last 8 years. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/us/politics/27debatecnd.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=presidential%20debate&st=cse&oref=slogin)
NY Times stated that for the first 40 minutes, Mr. Obama repeatedly sought to link Mr. McCain to President Bush, and suggested that it was policies of excessive deregulation that led to the financial crisis and mounting economic problems the nation faces now.
As quoted from the debate, “We also have to recognize that this is a final verdict on eight years of failed economic policies promoted by George Bush, supported by Senator McCain — the theory that basically says that we can shred regulations and consumer protections and give more and more to the most and somehow prosperity will trickle down,? Mr. Obama said. “It hasn’t worked, and I think that the fundamentals of the economy have to be measured by whether or not the middle class is getting a fair shake.?

The main argument from the two candidates that I got from the debate was that McCain kept emphasizing that Obama wasn’t ready to handle big military problems, the war in Iraq, and the financial crisis because he is too inexperienced. McCain repeatedly brought up that the American people should go on his website and check out things he’s done in the past to prove that he knows what he’s talking about. This goes along with his famous saying, “I walk the walk, not just talk the talk.?

As for Obama, he stressed that we cannot afford as a country to have a repeat of the last 8 years, and McCain is supported of many Bush decisions, and says we cannot expect good change for this country if we follow in the footsteps of Bush’s reign as President, which he is confident will happen if McCain becomes president.